1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck makes a terrible noise in reverse...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Mar 21, 2015.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I think I'm done for the year and only plow my own driveway but...92 K1500 I mostly use it in 4 low when in reverse it makes this horrible noise. Best way I can describe it is that it sounds like the fan is hitting something but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just thought I would put it out there if anybody has any ideas. I did look at the fan, not hitting anything. I hear it when I let the clutch out and start to go in reverse. If I slow to a crawl it goes away.
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Broken engine mount, tooth off the reverse idler gear. It's a stick right. Take the belts off and try it.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Does it only do it when your reversing in 4lo?
  4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Yes it's a stick and I only seem to hear this noise in reverse. Forward seems to be fine. What do you mean take the belts off and try it? I think it does it in regular reverse not in 4low but I can't remember now.
  5. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

see if it does it in 2wd if it does then its not the tcase... Im leaning towards a sloppy chain in the tcase...
  6. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I took the plow off today. Seems with no weight in the front it won't do it at all, 2wd or 4wd. I'll have a local garage look at it as I'm thinking some kind of mount might be broke.
  7. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

me thinks it might be shaft distribution bearing
  8. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the chain got sloppy in the tcase common on these chevys
  9. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

At this point, without the plow on the front and no weight, it won't do it at all. Being curious about the kind of noise I took a closer look today on a bright sunny day and I can in fact see where the fan has been hitting the very top of the shroud. I'm wondering if this is my whole problem and it needs to be adjusted a little or there is something broken on the engine. I went in reverse hard 4 and 2wd and it will not do it at all, but easily does it with the plow on the front end. Engine seems to be flexing enough to make that fan hit the clearance right now is probably 1/8 of an inch I would say. It's an old clunker of a truck.
  10. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Did you check the loose nut behind the wheel ?
  11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

look at the radiator support brackets by the frame, prob find them rotted out,
  12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed......I have the same problem.....2014 super duty except wild noise comes from passenger side seat area, no noise when her weight is removed.
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What's the chance that the frame is soft and slightly deflecting downward where the plow mounts and there for is pulling the core support and such down ever so slightly with it? When you reverse things might move around just enough for the fan to rub.
  14. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

It is an old clunker and rusted, but I'm gonna drive it until it cracks in two. I'll check the radiator support stuff this weekend. I'm sure I can figure out something to get another year out of this old beast.
  15. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

That's why I said try it with the fan belts off.
  16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why do you use 4lo ?

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Ha Ha Ha , my truck has the same noise sometimes . :D
  18. WSBart

WSBart Inactive

There is a very good chance the frame is soft and/or cracked. Those era trucks like to collect water in the lowest part of the frame horns and rot from the inside out. You wont know it until its time to start welding.