1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Maintainence

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Sep 22, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I've noticed a few things with my truck lately that I though I'd pass on to the rest of you. I suppose this could be a good thread for the new guys too. Maybe it'll help... maybe it won't. But here ya go.

One thing was a little bit of hesitation. If you own a Chevy truck with more than 50K miles on it, you may consider replacing the EGR valve. I just did this about a month ago. A fellow mechanic told me that the best way to see if it's bad is to disconnect it, and if the truck runs better... it's bad. Well, mine was bad. So after putting a new one on, I used GM Top Engine Cleaner, which you litterally pour down the throttle body. Between the two, my truck runs increadible. It seems like a whole new truck.

Also, depending on where you live, I noticed that the higher the gas prices go, the worse the gas is. When we were paying $2+ per gallon over the summer here, it was really bad gas. I went through a fuel filter in 12K miles. For those that don't know, they normally recommend changing them every 30K.

Tire pressure. This one can make or break you. We get a lot of customers in our shop that just can't seem to figure out why they had a blowout going 70mph on the tollway... but when you check the pressure in the rest of the tires, it's 10-20psi lower than it should be. Likewise, hooking up to your plow with the factory recommended 30psi in your tires can have the same effect. For example, my door sticker says to run my tires at 35psi, but the sidewall states a max pressure of 60psi for max load carrying capability. So, when I know I'm going to be hooking up the plow, or putting my spreader in, I'll usually up the pressure to about 45-50psi.

And finally, spark plugs. It's amazing how new, properly gapped plugs can make a world of difference.

Just figured I'd pass it on. Hopefully this will help someone. Anyone got anything to add???

-Tim

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

just curious slim jim, but where do you buy gas? if you are constantly switching stations and buying the cheaper fuel, thats what you are going to get. some of those stations like citgo and global etc, (unbrandeds) dont put in all the additives like texaco, mobil, exxon and chevron. like in the winter time, theres a citgo down the street from my fathers mobil, people keep coming back for mobil diesel cause citgo's gels too bad. citgo doesnt put in all the additives, to keep the cost low. just a thought? dont know wha youre putting in?

3. SlimJim Z71

Actually... I always get my gas from either Amoco or Mobil... and once in a while Shell. I know here in the Chicagoland area, we have tougher standards for emissions and fuel regulations, so I don't know if maybe it was the additives that were doing it, or if the gas itself was just poor quality. I was shocked to see how plugged my fuel filter was though. I could barely blow through it (with a clean piece of hose attached to it of course... LOL)

Tim

4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Along with the spark plugs I like to check the wires as mine always seem to "end up" laying against my exhaust manifolds and grounding themselves out. Cap rotor and even the little black "box" we all take for granted... ignition module. Air cleaner is also a big thing although I run K&N's so its pretty easy. Belts , hoses, radiator fluid. I also like to check the front end over pretty good. Last year I was frustrated that my front end sagged so much with the weight of my plow...... come to find out both front end springs had broke a full coil but I never checked them. New super duty springs and NO sagging. Grease front end as well.

pass side plow.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2001
  5. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I know K&N is supposed to have good products so my question is has the air filter lived up to it's claims and your expectations?

Bruce

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

IMO,Mobil has the best gas,by far.There additives keep the engine cleaner,and reduce carbon buildup.My cousin has run his 91 chevy truck since the day it was new,on Mobil 1 oil,and Mobil 93 octane,it has over 300K miles on it,still original,it has plowed since day one,and gets beat constantly,it still uses no oil,the only repairs its needed were an intake gasket,and a distributor.When the intake was done,we could see the intake valves,they were claen ans the day the truck was new,no build up,the intake valley was spotless too,this says something for Mobil products in general,and chevrolet.

7. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

where can i get some of that GM Top Engine Cleaner? let me know....i want to get some of that!

8. SlimJim Z71

Well... maybe it IS the additives they put into the gas around here.

Bruce,

I have a K&N air filter on my truck as well. They do help with the power in the upper RPM's, but you really don't notice too much down low. As far as filtration goes, I have yet to see any dust inside my intake tube. The other thing I like is the fact that you can just clean them, and put it back in. The one thing that I am unhappy with is their intake tube set-up (I have the Generation II Intake Kit). It pops loose at the throttle body every once in a while. Other than that... I'm happy with it.

Lawnsmith,

You can get the top engine cleaner at any GM dealership. When you pour it into the throttle body, it's going to smoke the place up pretty quickly. But... it's worth it. I noticed quite an improvement in the general power and response from my engine. Well worth the money... and the smoke. LOL. Make sure you use it in a very well ventillated area, not only for the smoke, but it also stinks very bad!

Tim

Last edited: Sep 23, 2001
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Gas Brands

Not to burst anyones bubble, but.... My local Mobil station gets gas from an independent hauler "BRT" He loads at "independent" racks,terminals where numerous stations pull from. Its all the same folks! Maybe the larger city stations may pull out of their own terminals, but the rural smaller volume stations get deliveries by the independent haulers from independent terminals.

10. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

TLS, all gas is not the same, if a mobil or a amoco is not selling their branded gasolinethey stand the chance of losing their branded location. the oil company's do not stand for gas station operators selling renegade fuel. the oil company's do unscheduled tests of the product in the tanks.
    however their are allways a few who like to cheat the public and buy the cheap stuff, sooner or later they will get caught and face the music.
    i am not passing this along as a person who heard this from a uncle's ,brother's dog's friend. i own an amoco station.
    hope this helps
    dan

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

No problems with quality here. Renegade, NOT. They're not hiding anything. Trailers are polished like mirrors and they are all Peterbilts with Alcoa's on all 18, also polished like a mirror. If a station doesn't sell $X amount of gas a month, the branded refinery will not deliver to that station. It is then up to the owner (You!) to secure deliveries elsewhere. You may have different laws, rules, or it may just be AMOCO's decision. (Dont have any around me) We have a Hess station that also pulls from the same racks as the Mobil. I heard once that Premium may be brand specific (additive package), but your lower grades aren't.

12. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Years ago back when I hauled gasoline for a living Mobil, Marathon, 76, Amoco, Shell and many other name brands all pulled from the same tank farm. That being TETCO (Texas Eastern Transmission Corp.) Mobil and Marathon had their own tanks but TETCO supplied them. This was back when I was hauling somewhere in the range of 165,000 gals. a week. Sometimes I'm quite sure it was when the major's supplies were just low in their own tanks but none the less they were there right beside my Certified Gas truck.

Bruce