1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck loves to overheat????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 20Silverado05, Jan 30, 2008.

1. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

When im plowing my 2005 silverado 2500HD always starts to overheat. im $^*&%^$g sick and tired of blasting the heat to take the heat of the engine, it makes me sweat tits and im half naked in my cab because its so hot. someone please help me and tell me what is going on. i drive in 3rd gear the whole time also. thanks, eric

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

it is your clutch fan. get a new heavy duty one. $145 or so. it happens to alot of chevys. look up in search about chavy cltuch fans and you will come up with a lot of information....

3. 20Silverado05

thats what i was thinking after i read a few more threads, thanks alot..

4. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

How High Is It Running?

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Why do you drive from job to job in 3rd gear? I always plow in 3rd, but then I go back to regular drive, going from job to job. This may contribute to it, because the motor is working a little harder, because you want to go faster, but your in 3rd, and thats where the tranny will stop shifting when I reaches 3rd gear. Make sence? I do it occationally, I will hear the motor working at a higher rpm, and then I will shift it to drive.

6. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

plow in MN, theres no way u can overheat. -20 degrees will take care of you!
    Why dont u open ur windows if your blasting the heat?

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

He likes playing hotbox in the truck. off the subject, but in high school we used to play hot box in the middle of summer on the hottest day roll up the windows and blast the heater and see who can take it the longest. Looking back does not sounds like a good idea, but we were stupid and did stupid things like that....:jester:

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

We used to play freeze out. I always lost :cry:

9. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

u people from the westside rnt to sharp r u? and ya u people with gm products seem to have this issue alot i mean at least the new fords r only drinking snow and gas

10. 20Silverado05

i meant to say i only do my jobs in 3rd and drive to the jobs in drive, my mistake.

11. shortcircut65

shortcircut65 Junior Member

overheating is a somewhat common thing in the LLY duramax's. if you havent heard of it yet, head on over to dieselplace.com. a giagantic wealth of knowledge about these trucks. i know they have a fix for the overheating, but im not too sure of what it is. i guess its realy easy.

Ken

12. plowmaster1

plowmaster1 Junior Member

fan clutch

you need to put on a different fan clutch depends on what it has though look into it

13. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I had two HD's that did that. Go to the dealer and tell them to replace the clutch fan.