1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Lost Power and Plow Died

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by S-10 Plower, Jan 17, 2004.

1. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

OK if anyone has had this problem let me know what it could be. Went out this morning to start the truck and it wouldn't start it took me like 2 minutes of holding the key down to get it to start what could it be?????? and just the other day my plow started acting up called my fisher dealer to have them install a new 7'4" ld on it and they said it would be around a week or two just to get the parts for my truck I asked them why so long they said fisher has run out of controls both the joystick and fish stick. Help customers are calling and I need to be able to get them cleared out after the 10" storm the other day and another 2.5" this morning anyone know of a plow installer that can hook me up in the SE, or SW Michigan area that could maybe put a blade on for me in the next few days. My Truck is a 1999 S-10 Zr2 Ext cab Pickup I need a plow that will do both residential and commercial sites and won't tear apart my front end. looking for blades around 560# complete with truck mount. Must be full power and I need to be able to back drag with it.

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks Mark You can E-mail me direct at Dukescazy@aol.com thanks. :D
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Mark.........You could go with a Western set up. A lot
    lighter than a Fisher.

Btw: For some reason some plows are not recommended
    for the ZR-2 equipped s-10s...............

I think it has to do with height........Another guy around here
    had a plow instaled on his Z equipped s-10 and his plow
    wouldn't lower far enough and touch the ground.
    Do a search here...I think you will find it !..............geo
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

A plow that weighs 550 lbs. is to heavy for an S10. That weight is for a 1/2 ton. Should be 350 lbs. Blizzard makes a 6'8"LT for an S10. Not very big but the right weight. Won't back drag well, to light. Get a back blade too for that kind of work.
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

ABCO Services (Toledo) has quite a few plows in stock, it is about a 2 hour drive though
  5. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Well, all western could tell me was they had a suburbanite which looks just like the home steader. but they don't recommend it for a zr2 because of how high the truck sits.

Fisher told me they recommend timberns for the 7'6" Ld at 560# and they would put it on as soon as they have the parts.

Meyer can't find anyone to put one on

and The Blizzard 680lt is too light and won't back drag very well Bolts Indus is right on that

The Dealer ship said when I was there a few years ago having a new frame put under it, That the ZR2 was rated the same as a reg 4x4 1500. I don't know this to be true but what do you guys think will and plow around that weight kill my truck I'm trying to make due with what I have can't afford the new one I want right now.

So in your guys/Gals professional opinion what size should i get that will handle what I'm trying to do? , Or should i just give up this dream for like 10 yrs until i can hopefully get the new truck

Thanks for your input.
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

A western suburbanite/ fischer homesteader will not fit a ZR2 because of the height issue. There is a 3-5 inch difference between an s-10 and a ZR2. Western wouldnt tell me yet whether or not they are going to come out with a mount for the ZR2. If you guys keep asking, they will build one.
  7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

You can hang an 8' Sno-Way on that truck. Weight is about 480 and you have hydraulic downpressure for backdragging. 7'6" S-W is about 40 lbs lighter. I'm not sure about the newest ones, but the older S-W mounts gave you some adjustment for height.
  8. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

Before I put the plow on my zr2 I did a lot of research. For some reason the only one found that would fit is the fisher 6'9" LD.
    I don't think I need trimberns with it. I use about 400 pounds of ballast.
  9. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Go with the 6"9". I am telling you...you will be happy with it. I plow some big long driveways with mine and can keep up with my father's 3/4 ton. The 6'9" is all the plow you need.:nod: