1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck loosing Power / Slipping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hummerslawncare, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

I have an 1996 F-250 with a 9 foot fisher plow (yes i know its large but thats what the truck came with) now my problem is when the plow is not on my truck has no power (when i hit the accel. it feels like its slipping but its not i can even make it up a small hill with the accel to the floor HELP!!!!!) what do i do it shouldent be the transmission as the truck only has 75,000 miles on it.:cry:

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I don't want to sound stupid. Is the truck an automatic or manual? If it is automatic the has anyone ever changed the transmission fluid & filter (book says every 30,000 miles) or have you checked the fluid level (motor running at idle & warm)? If it is a manual, then it might be the clutch. Have any problem changing gears? I had a 1997 model F350 460 automatic that always had a goose neck or snowplow attached and when it felt funny I changed the trans fluid & filter which usually corrected the problem. I also had plugs & wires changed at 60,000. Does the motor run funny? At 75,000 miles it might be time for plugs & wires. Hope some of this helps.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

maybe a good tranny flush filter adj bands then some new plugs wires cap and rotor fuel filter so you start from there then add some techron to your gas tank clean the fuel injetors out

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

PLOWMAN45
    your right, I forgot about the fuel filter & gas treatment.

5. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

should have got a chevy hehehahah i had to do it

calm down i am only joking:D :D

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Is the engine reving high when you floor it or does it bog down? I need more info to determine if the problem is engine or transmission related.

7. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

A clogged catalytic converter can also rob you of power . If the exhaust sounds restricted this might be your problem.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

This only does it with the plow off? Add more info, could be a lot of things. Haynes manuals have trouble shooting guides in them.
    Has the truck been taken care of, or just buy it?

9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

First let me say I am not an electrical vehicle expert or close to it.

While putting a plow on a ford one day I tapped into a circuit for a hot and after that the truck had no power with plow off. Can't remember what the circuit was labeled. Maybe you have done the same.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  10. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

The truck was bought from a friend and it was really taken care of it is a beautiful truck. It has an auto transmission v8 5.8l however after this problem i parked the truck for the night and the next morning it ran fine, it seemed kind of strange. I wanted to thank every one on this site for all your help and information you have given me Thank You:)

11. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I'm no expert. Can only go by past experience. We had a similar experience with a 99 F250. Turns out that there is a small often not noticed grease fitting near the back of the front wheels that requires a "needle" fitting. It is covered with a small rubber cover that pulls off. I learned this from a friend who discovered it after he had to replace one side of the hub/axle. After grease, the loss of power issue went away.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Well, what was it?

Slipping or the engine not running right?

Two TOTALLY different things, none of which should "fix" themselves.

One thing it "could" have been.

Tire size and gear bind in 4x4 on dry surfaces.

You may have slightly different tire sizes and with different weights on different axles, may compress tires enough to cause a slight gear bind as you drive. This will really draw power and make it seem like the tranny is slipping.