1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck lights stay on with plow lights and are dim

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bschmidt, Oct 10, 2008.

1. bschmidt

bschmidt Junior Member

I bought an older Boss Tech 2 V-Plow and I'm having a problem with the plow lights. They are dim and the truck light are on, but dim too. If I switch to just the truck lights, they work fine. Tried grounding the plow lights, didn't work. Plow lights don't switch from bright to dim. Any ideas????

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What make and model of truck is this on?
    Did you just do this install?
    Are you positive you have the wire's in the correct orientation on the back of the head light switch?
    How did you actually ground the plow lights when testing?

3. bschmidt

bschmidt Junior Member

2001 Chevy HD
    install was 2 wks ago
    took the ground wire off, cleaned the surface and put back where it was.
    and I am positive that the wires are correct.
    any idea?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How did you tie the plow harness into the trucks head light harness...do you have the correct head light adapters? If they were used as well, what make and model were they off of?

5. bschmidt

bschmidt Junior Member

They are the correct ones. They are off of a '99 Chevy 3/4 ton, now when I flip the switch from truck to plow lights, the truck lights do not come on but still don't have any plow lights. Is there a fuse or anything like that?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Was the 3/4 ton a classic body style truck by any chance?

7. bschmidt

bschmidt Junior Member

I don't know, why?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because the headlight adapters are different between your truck, and a '99 CLASSIC body style truck. If it was the Silverado body (same as yours) then they would be the same.

GM changed the headlight wiring configuration in '99 from the standard issue positive to excite system that they and everyone else used for years, over to the NEGATIVE to excite light system...but only on the Silverado bodied trucks. So unless you can verify that the truck you removed the adapters from was the Silverado body style it's still 100% possible that you have the incorrect adapters.

Boss headlight adapter for the post '98 model year GM's are very hard to find as the RT'2 were discontinued by then.