1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck leveling

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by okstatelawns, Dec 28, 2009.

1. okstatelawns

okstatelawns Junior Member

I don't do much removal with a pickup, but I have a Chevy K2500 with a 7.5' Western Pro Plow. Was wondering what the guys in the north, who plow everyday day- do to their suspension systems on the front of their trucks to maintain ride height and to keep the front end of the truck from sagging when the plow is raised. Are air shocks available for the front? Am not real crazy about cranking up the torsion bars. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plenty of ballast or a leveling kit.
  3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

How come you are not crazy about cranking the torsion bars? You can put them back in the spring ya know.....
  4. okstatelawns

okstatelawns Junior Member

I am aware that the torsion bars can be returned to the original position in the spring, but am not sure if their is enough adjustment to raise the frontend to compensate for the weight of the plow. I am basicly wondering what other contractors do. This is not snow plow territory
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

timbren load boosters or a truxx leveling system.
  6. bergeros

bergeros Junior Member

Crank up the torsion bars, then you can turn them back down. Keep track of your turns, I typically make a mark on one side so I know I have made it one full turn.

In my experience, turned 4 trucks so far, I have found 8 full turns and I still have not needed an alignment. I had the alignment checked before and after and was told by my reputable dealer the alignment did not change.

I also found I gained 2 inches in height and went from 3 inch deflection to 1 inch and a 1/2, when the plow was raised. Also made the truck look more level front to back. Only own GM vehicles, but the front end is always so much lower then the rear end.

Just my .02. :salute: