1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck length

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stevesmowing, Nov 24, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

I am looking at buying a f350 or chevy 2500HD. I want either an extended cab or crew cab. However I was curious at what point the truck becomes too long to do residential driveways still.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If I was ever going to do drives again I would get either a Jeep or a 80's fullsize Chevy Blazer. The 80's fullsize Bronco's are good as well I just wouldn't own a Ford.

Reason is turning radius and ability. I have found even my K2500 is to long at times and on small circle's it just plain sucks. I like to leave things as clean as I can and you just can not clean tight spots real good without that tight turning ability.

3. wddodge

wddodge Member

I have a std cab short bed and at times it's too big for a driveway. If you're going to specialize in drives, get a Jeep cj or wrangler. You will love it!! Generally speaking, the longer the wheelbase the less sharp it will turn.

Denny

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking forward to my first year plowing with an extended cab longbed dually. I remember plenty of times when my regular cab 2500 was too big. Oh well, I'll just be choosy about what I think I can do.

5. lumps

lumps Senior Member

the only downside to the little trucks is their ability to move a lot of snow. my first truck was a regular cab short box ram D50 (the little mitsu basically). it was great for maneuverability, i loved it. but, with some of the snow we get here, there were times i wished for a bigger truck. this will be my first year with a fullsize ext. cab, we'll see how that goes.

6. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I plwoed last year with an extended cab long bed Ford. I had one circle driveway that I shoveled most of it, other thatn that it was ok. I always wanted to back up another few feet to scrape forward a little more than I could. If you need the extra room during the year, then the few times you plow with it shouldn't be a big factor, unless you have quite a few small or circle drives.

7. frostservices

frostservices Member

I would go with the short box extend cab or a regular cab regular box the advantage to a regular cab over an extend cab is you can see better out the back window cause your closer to it.
    Seth

8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We have an old K5 Blazer for driveways and it's the ticket. The trucks are too long. Why not go for a blazer or similar and get a trailer to cover the pick up part. Shorter is always better on Residential.

9. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Price accordingly if you have a bigger truck.. If you are halfway decent at driving your truck can never be to big, just may take alittle longer to do the job..

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It depends-
    I started plowing with my Chevy dump, and I normally use the standard cab long bed- but I would never attempt plowing around here with a long bed extend cab- that extra 2 feet would get you every time. Some locals you can do it others you can't. (I don't think pricing higher just because you have a bigger truck for residential is a wise idea- it's your choice not the customers for your truck size so why should they pay more because you wanted a dually?)
    I wouldn't go for a Jeep as a primary plow truck but I am considering one as a backup truck- a full size Blazer is reasonable but alot depends on your climate- New England snow can easily overwhelm a Jeep in a matter of hours, not likely to happen with a 1 ton SRW truck.

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have been using ext cab short bed trucks since 99 with no issues at all. I find GM trucks turn far better than the Fords so sheck before you buy. The 05 Fords may be better but a 02 I tryed was bad.

Before the Ext short beds I use now I had a 2 door Yukon ( like a older K5 Blazer) it trurned tight but didn't plow as well IMO.

12. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

F350 Crew Cab

This is my second year plowing with a monster truck. I do about 70% driveways with a F350 Crew Cab. Some will say its stupid or can't be done. I've never had a problem.

The two downsides: 1: I won't (can't) do circle driveways, but that's okay because there are plenty of straight drives out there! 2: You have to backdrag much further so that you can back up and push the snow out.

If you're used to a shorter truck, you'll have to back up slower until you get used to it. But, it doesn't take more than 1 or 2 plows to get the hang of it. I think its more important to get the truck you need. Here in SE MI we plow about 10 nights of the year. I would buy a truck with the features you want the other 355 days a year!

Get the truck you want.....you can plow with just about any of them once you're used to it.