1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by exmark, Oct 23, 2009.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

So the truck keeps shutting off whenever it sits or when i put it in gear. This is and example today i was in the turn lane waiting to turn left when the light turned green i went to gas and it killed and this doesn't happen all the time just random. But today was the first time its happened twice in one day. So if this has happened to you i could really use some help. But also the engine was just replace about 8 thousand miles ago so not to long and so i dont know what it could be. Thanks any info will be helpful.

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

first off, have it scanned. this will probably turn out to be a throttle position sensor or the likes.

3. surfflyfish

surfflyfish Junior Member

that happens to my suburban too.if i pull in a parking lot and turn the steering wheel it shuts off. i had it scan but the guy said it only showed the oxygen sensor but he said the sensor doesn't make the truck do that.
    so its been a mystery ever since.sometimes it it happens all day and 2 weeks pass and it doesn't happend.
    i noticed couple weeks ago if i put cheap gas that issue keeps going and when i put the 89 or premium gas it doesn't.
    but the computer couldn't see the real issue.

4. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Thanks and yeah that seems the way it is for me when turning and it wont happen for a while then happens out of random so i dont know its really pissing me off though

5. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

should we assume you already ruled out the simple stuff like fuel filter, inspected wiring around the fuel pump, ground straps, etc.?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like an electrical issue. Broken wire on the ignition circuit in the steering column.

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I'm with 2cor. Could also be a bad ignition switch-which is mounted on the steering column down sort of by the pedals. Cheap part too, but hard to test because it is an intermittent problem.

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Fuel pump relay or fuel pump ground?

9. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

Awww Congrats. U make such a cute couple :D

10. surfflyfish

i'll lok into that one,didn't think about the fuel pump ground.

11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

A coworker is having the same problem as you. Keep us posted/visa-versa

12. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Any updates?

13. surfflyfish

a few people here been facing the same issue i was having. truck just keeps shutting off.
    i went to the auto part store and bought the K&N cleaning kit and charged it good,and also bought a bottle of mass air flow cleaner,had the wife step on the gas and poured the whole bottle little by little until the bottle was done.dried the filter and the issue stopped so far,so probably was the mass flow sensor was probably dirty and it was causing the issue..also bought the basic maintenance like fuel filter.and one thing i noticed was on the gass too.
    i've was using the cheap gas so i put 89-93 and it feels a lot diffrent,to the fuel i added Lucas injector cleaner,and the truck is running like a charm.
    so i've been guessing what it was causing the issue,maybe the sensor was dirty.
    hope that help for a few.
    Dave

14. exmark

exmark Senior Member

little update I havent been on the sight for a little while but I ended up just running about four fill ups of premium. And it seems to be working it hasnt shut off since. So im hoping that by filling up with premium would have helped cleaned it out a little bit.

15. Snow_Control

Snow_Control Junior Member

I’ve had a similar problem. My truck ( 05 2500HD 6.0L gas ) and ill be driving down the road at no particular speed and everything in the truck electrically shuts off. Gauge cluster, power windows, radio, power locks, power steering, ect. I can still control the truck but need to pull off to the side of the road and shut the truck off, (the engine does not die) Once I shut the truck off, I can start it right away and drive off with all my power (electrical) options work fine. This is a very intermittent problem, say every 3 months or so and it happens with no warning anyone experience this or have this issue?