1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck just died?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by drivewaydoctor, Jan 24, 2009.

1. I was out in my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2ltr and it was running fine. I stopped to talk to someone and just left it running. Came back to the truck and she was stalled. I tried to start it and it did start but it was chugging and hitting the gas seemed to bog it out. It then shut off and now it wont start. Just turns over but won't start up.

Fuel pump?
  2. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Can you hear the pump buzz when you turn the key?
  3. Ya know, I'm deaf bud. So no. I'll have to get someone with me to listen.
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

verify all the usual suspects. fuel spark etc. pull a spark plug and inspect. if its black and oily change the plugs. ive had several trucks foul the plugs on 5.2 gaser.
  5. I would hope its not plugs. She just had a full tuneup done about 2 months ago. Maybe less. I'll try checking the plugs tho since she aint going no where till Monday when my mechanic opens shop.
  6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Yup Id go for a dead fuel pump,if its a gas job just use some quick starting fluid and have someone turn the key just a small amount of spray if it fires up its fuel problem it it dont probably ignition. Good luck keep us posted

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

ether the throttle body if it runs for a few seconds it the fuel pump .

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Both of my Rams have about 130k miles on em. Had to replace coils on em both in the last year.
    Did the same thing you just said when they died.
    1994 and 1998
  9. ignition coils bro?

Mine has 106k miles on it.
  10. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

If its the coils you will tell when there is no spark. You can check the fuel pressure too if you are by yourself and cant hear it running by releasing the pressure up by your intake too..... just watch your eyes when you do it.... if you dont have any gas squirting out of the nipple, then id guess the pump crapped out on you.
  11. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Coils,Fuel Pumps,Crank Position Sensor,All Common On That Horse.More Info Needed Though.Acme
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yes. Got one from a speed shop for the plow truck for $75 I think it was and the other daily driver I just went stock NAPA part 50 bucks or so.
  13. gary42095

gary42095 Member

nobody stated the obvious?

is there gas in it... not calling you out but just sometimes the most obvious things...

whats the temp there now? water in fuel? frozen?
    try some dry gas it is a very cheap simple try to the alternatives. try getting the stuff for emergency already frozen fuel...

RODHALL Senior Member

Starting fluid - Spray it into the intake While someone cranks. if iti starts and runs on starting fluid this will narrow it down to 2 issues.

schrader valve- Push it in and drain all the presser from line. then flip key and listen for pump. crank 30 seconds see if it builds presser back up. no presser fuel pump = fuel pump. have presser and still need to do more.....

Need test light or volt Ohm meter
    at your injectors you have 2 wires one solid color and one with a stripe. take the one with the stripe check see if it getting pulses of voltage. you'll also find that you have no spark. if it is not it is the crank sensor....

that should help you find the problem.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  15. cherokeeman

cherokeeman Member

ithink you may need a 02 sensor if your giving it gas and it chockes or pops thats probably your problem good luck dave
  16. Yeah the Crank Position Sensor and cam shaft positions sensor (one on tranny) was recent;y changed. Plugs, wires, distributor cap are all brand new. Even the rotor was replaced.

I tried changing out the fuel system relay and checked the fuel system relay fuse. Everything is fine there. I even gave the gas tank a few wacks to try and free up the pump. I had someone lay under the truck close to the gas tank and they could not hear any noise coming from the gas tank. There is currenly 1/4 tank of fuel which has gas line antifreeze in it.

It is cold outside now, about -20 but it wasn't that cold when it died. Maybe -10 or so...

I'm almost willing to bet its the fuel pump. I hope they are not expensive...
  17. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Depends on where you get the pump, but I recommend one from the stealership. Autozone ones dont last that long. The factory one has lasted 12 years or so on that truck. Worth a little extra to not be doing it again in 2 years if you ask me.
  18. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ya gotta try the ether /quik start/ liquid fire trick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will tell a whole lot especially with no fuel pump noise in the tank:cool:
  19. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Crank Position Sensor It The one On the Top Of the bell-housing Camshaft Sensor Also Known As The hall effect Switch Is In the Distributor
  20. Well its a PITA on these trucks to get at the throttle body. I just dont feel like spending hours under the hood in -20 weather. lol