1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck is getting hot when traveling with plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jpar247, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jpar247

jpar247 Member

Pretty much just was the title states. I tried driving up to the mountain today to try out the new plow, couldn't even make it half way up, the trans and coolant was getting so hot. I love how the factory gauges show that everything is fine:realmad:, but my Edge Insight showed the tranny was around 200* at times, and the motor was up 223*. Both very bad! Hopefully I didn't do any serious damage.

What are some ideas people have came up with to help prevent this? I was thinking of making a Air Scoop between the lights on the plow to help direct the airflow back into the grill.

Thanks guys

2. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

try a lower gear to keep the engine revs higher and not lugging. Those temps aren't that bad. Trans has to go to 230 to start trouble. Run synthetic in trans will help.
    Also make sure you have the snowplow package. They can give different fans and fan clutches.

3. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Im sure you know, But keep that plow Banked L or R and damn near touching the ground and like the OP said keep the revs up and run TowHaul. Thats what I was taught and never had a problem. Hope this helps or you get to the bottom of this.

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

200 trans temp is nothing to worry about. if you keep the converter locked it will help but remeber the motor runs around 180-190 so when the atf goes through the cooler it only can cool off so much.

5. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I dont have an Engine Temp read out, but the trans temp gauge on my 2011 reads up to 210. Usually rides around 190 when plowing, but cranking 90+ on the highway lets it skyrocket to 207 to 210

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

overheating has been discussed many many times......do a search or READ

7. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

How your plow is positioned can really alter your engine temp. Just keep it as low as it will without touching the ground.

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

As others have already said, the number one thing you can do to keep temps down is angle the plow. Many folks think it diverts air away from the radiator. It does divert some away, but it also creates a low pressure zone on the other side to suck cold air in. Just for grins, keep an eye on the temps while running with the plow up and straight, then angle it and watch what happens. At highway speeds, it's pretty dramatic.

9. jpar247

jpar247 Member

I tried straight, hi/low and angled hi/low, all created the same temps.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Is it a diesel? Does it have Plow Prep? Have you tried a different fan clutch?

11. Too Stroked

Then, as has been suggested, check if you have the Snowplow Prep Package. Believe it or not, all that includes is a different Fan Clutch. It's also critical if you want Ford to honor your warranty with a plow on the truck - depending on your dealer of course.

12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

a lifted plow makes no money.:laughing:

13. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

I am having the same issue. I went to the dealer and was told that I do have the snow plow prep package but have the fan clutch for the non snow plow prep. What's the deal with that?

14. Too Stroked

Sounds like typical dealership double talk to me. Since all the Snowplow Prep Package includes is the fan clutch, it can't happen. Of course in the wonderful world of dealer BS, anything is possble!

Ask them if you have the older analog blinker fluid or the newer synthetic / digital blinker fluid powering your directionals. There's a TSB out on replacing it before the truck melts a hole in the earth all the way to China.

15. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

LMAO. Ford, Dodge, Chevy doesn't matter. DEALERS SUCK!!

16. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm not 100% sure but I think someone listed the FORD numbers for a clutch fan..that is for 2008-2010 Trucks without plow prep package.

And by the way, the plow prep package also gives you one upgrade on the front springs in addition to the fan.

Does anyone have the FAN numbers they can share ?

17. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

My F550 has plow prep and if you dont keep the plow down close to the ground only on the highway going 55 it wants to overheat. When those fans come on though it sounds like a freakin jet engine ready to take off.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  18. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

you may want to make sure your fan is even turning on had the same problem this year and come to find out clutch was shot. and look around before you buy one got mine off ebay for an 8th of the cost a guy bought out a dealer going out of buis he had 9 of them for my 6.0 stroke