1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck is falling apart after 6 years..

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by sailscall01, Nov 15, 2011.

1. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 and recently with in the last year it has started to fall apart. Replaced one ball joint so far, exhaust manifold on right side replaced(under warranty), paid for a $58 chip that cost $500 in labor to replace. Now when I drive on the expressway at 65 mph my truck rattles and shakes and feels like it is bouncing. I recently had the tires rotated and rebalanced. Someone mentioned cupping, however when I took the tires to be rebalanced again, the guy said they look ok.. Any suggestions or has anyone had a similar problem.. I thought it might be a strut but another mechanic said he didn't think so.. Any help is appreciated.. Thanks in advance..
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't really sound like its falling apart to me, sounds like your truck needs proper maintenance and replacement of wear items.

I'd suspect one or more of your U-Joints on one of your driveshafts is gone causing the issues going down the highway. I'd check the rear first.
  3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

i agree with this guy
  4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I'm not sure, but do Dodges have the death wobble issue that's common in so many solid axle trucks? I googled it and got a bunch of hits, so I'm guessing that they do. There's probably a ton of reading out there to be done on it.
  5. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

u joints are a good place to start but a common overlooked item is the steering stablizer. they can make that truck do some weird stuff.
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That sounds about right.
  7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Yes they do and i have had it happen to me but he would know instantly when that happens cause it feels like nothing else
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Once worked for a guy with a 92 3500 Dogde replaced the whole front suspension and still felt the bouncing. Turned out to be a loose steering box. HTH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Strut ???? For the mechanic who said he doesn't think so, Fire him!!! I can say for 150% certain it is not the strut.

As for the vibration. Does it change in sound or amplification when the brakes are applied?? Any wierd noises when in 4x4 and turning??? I'm thinking u joint. Death wobble is more known in the 2nd gen trucks. Mostly due to the poor design of the track bar.

I would inspect the entire front end for worn parts and all U joints. 6 years of running a plow truck will eventually wear out front end parts and universals. If you think that is falling appart ask some 6.0l ford owners about there drive line.....
  10. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I can say that in the 6 years I have had the truck, I really didn't put out any money to have anything fixed.. Nothing really ever broke or needed replacing so the truck has been reliable.. I guess when it rains it pours when things go wrong!! Especially right before the snow season with out of pocket costs... I shouldn't *****.. I should have been more proactive for the preventative maintenance issues.

As far as the "DEATH WOBBLE", it feels like I'm bouncing from the left side:bluebounc.. I'm in no ways "mechanical". I've mentioned it the problem to my neighbor, who is a mechanic for Ford, and he said possible cupping from the tires.. I have an appointment with a mechanic on Friday and will mention all these issues everyone has mentioned. The best way to explain it is a road test with them.

Thanks again and keep anymore suggestions coming..
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

death wobble is 90% 2nd gen trucks from as said poorly designed track bar. When you get it you know it- the whole front of the truck shakes violently, brakes applied or not makes no difference. Loose steering gear will cause it to the frame or internally worn. I have that issue now on mine- new track bar, new tie rods but the gear is worn and allows the front end to wiggle.
    very rare on 3rd gen trucks because they don't have the ball/socket joint track bar.
  12. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I agree that it is mostly 2nd gen mine never did but I know of guys that have had it happen to 3rd gen. Untill 08 the track bar setup it the same as the 2nd gen tho so it still happens unless you but the upgrade kit and make it like the 08 and newer trucks
  13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Track bar is the same design from 03-12+, it was the steering setup (linkages) that changed from a Y design to a T style in 2008.5.
  14. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

6 years on a dodge with a plow and only 1 ball joint? that seems suspicious. at 6 years old with a dodge i would expect to start replacing front end components. at 6 years with a ram that has a plow hanging on it i would say that you are luckier than most. I am going to guess that your mechanic is going to tell you that you need front end work, u-joints, and shocks.
    How many miles are on the truck and what tires (Brand and load range) are you running. I have seen too light of a load range tire on trucks cause some serious drive-ability issues.
  15. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

Yes....yes they do. The last time it happened to me in our 2007 was about two months ago. I was on the highway in the right hand lane with the cruise set at 65, went over a small bump and the truck started violently shaking. So much so that it was bouncing back and fourth in the lane and I couldn't control it. I gradually slowed the truck down and it wasn't until I slowed to about 30mph that it stopped shaking. This had happened to me a couple times before but not this bad.

After that I did a little research and found a one hundred and some odd page article on the NHTSAs website with literally hundreds of complaints pertaining to "death wobble" in Ram trucks. Of course the dealership played dumb when they looked at it saying everything looked fine. I even printed out that whole article and brought it with with me and they said they had never heard of the issue.
  16. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi guys, Im not very mechanically inclined, but reading all these posts just makes my job of looking for a new truck alot harder.
    A wobble happened to us once in the past, it ended up being that the mechanic didnt tighten the wheel nuts lol.

I was just looking at an 07, ram 2500, diesel, 6.7, 4x4, extended cab
    Looks like a great truck, just what I need for personal & plowing as a back up or "just incase" truck, but more for personal.

Im not so sure anymore.
    Came on the dodge discussion section to find out more about the 6.7 engine on the 2007's,,,
    Now that im hearing about this death wobble, Im really thinking twice.

Im not too happy with the ford reviews,

Dont hear much bad about the chevy's or GM's.

Lastly, cant fugure out why when comparing prices, dodge rams are always more expensive/.

Ive had people tell me about weak tranny's & front ends & very expensive repair costs.

I love the truck & just looking to get a little insight.
  17. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Dont let Death Wobble scare you from buying a Dodge. I had it and it wound up being bad ball joints. It usually is attributed to the track bar, but not in my case.

It CAN be fixed. Mine drives like a dream now and I will not hestiate to buy another Dodge.

To the OP, if you replaced one ball joint, you may want to consider just getting them all done.
  18. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I would agree with most of the posts that are saying start with the rear u joint. I to am not very mechanically inclined. But have some basic knowledge and also have the best diesel mechanic. And Sealer People, you will be replacing front end components. Just do it with the proper parts and put it behind you. You won't hear me say that dodge is the very best, but CUMMINS IS!!!!!!!
  19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'm a huge Dodge fan but even I have come to grips with the fact their front ends suck. If you've only replaced 1 ball joint in 5 years then you're luckier than most. Take your truck to a reputable shop and they'll get it figured out. You might faint when you see all the parts you need but they're probably right.
  20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Surprised the tranny pan hasn't rusted out on that truck.Or did it?