1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Insurance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rydzewski, Jan 18, 2009.

1. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

I'm sure this is on the site already but If i plow in my own truck on residential properity do i need any other insurance other then auto?

2. MisterG

MisterG Junior Member

I happen to be an insurance agent so I'll try to help you. First off check to see if your company will even provide coverage for any damage done while plowing. If you are getting paid to do the work, most personal auto policies won't. I would recommend looking into a commercial auto policy that is written with plowing in mind. The next step would be to look at a general liability policy. For a one man operation the rate shouldn't be too bad being that residential work tends to cost less to insure, and the protection would be there. Keep in mind that insurance is designed to be there for the big issues. Any small issues are better taken care of by yourself.

3. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

excellent, thank you. i will be contacting state farm on tuesday!

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

OH NO, NOT STATE FARM:eek:.

Seriously, do a search on here for State Farm. Lots of information for you to consider in getting a commercial policy from them.

5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

MisterG, Where in northern WI are you?

Matt

6. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I have state farm, and don't have any problems with them, I don't know if it's just because my agent is really good or what. But I tell them what I want, if I tell them I want this coverage, and if this happens I want it covered, and they do it. No problems ever.

7. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I have never had a problem with S.F. and I have had 2 totals and a property damage within the past 2 yrs and all were resolved within a week. And another thing, my rates have not gone up much at all with all the claims I have had. That does not mean you shouldn't shop around.

James

8. Mick

from Maine

My experience was very different. Canceled for an accident that was the other guy's fault - no claim against my policy.The worst part was that I was canceled without notice and I was driving all over the US for three months without insurance. They did, however, send a refund of the canceled portion of the policy:rolleyes:.

State Farm is also known for delaying and denying valid claims.

9. plowman01fishin

plowman01fishin Junior Member

I just called my state farm office in jackson ,mi and they said they can't or won't do commercial plow insurance....they gave me the phone number of another agent totally unrelated to s.f.

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

State Farm will not do any commercial plow coverage in Illinois either.

I have to agree with Mick on them they suck. I had them for 27 years on home owners insurance and after a tornado ripped down my fence and tore up my roof they dropped me as soon as repairs were done.
    1 claim in 27 years and they dropped me faster than a non-payer. :cry:

11. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Who do you guys use for insurance. I have MetLife, they wont touch commerical either. I was thinking of trying Commerce. Any feedback?

12. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

i want to get eSURANCE!!! lol

13. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

I checked state farm and geico and both were with in 7 dollars of each other only about $400.00 for 12 months coverage 100k 300k and 300k I was shocked to say the least I was expecting it to cost 3 to 4 grand or more.

slugger

14. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Does any know if commercial auto ins with coverage for plowing will cover for all plowing damage, or do I need general liability policy also. I am looking into one account that wants me to have 1,000,000 in coverage. I would think that would be general liab, but I dont know.

15. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

according to my agent with american family if you hit something while going forward with your plow it is general liability and any damage done with the truck, for example, while backing up would be under auto insurance.

16. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I sub for a local landscape company and all they require is regular auto insurance. They say General Liability is under there policy.

17. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

But here in Michigan with the stupid "NO FAULT" If I back into someone and it is "MY FAULT" the only thing my insurance is responsible for it their deductible. If they don't have full coverage to bad they get nothing. I may be wrong but that is the way it was explained to me.

My wife was hit head on when a 16 year old crossed the center line. It was a lease and the insurance company settled with ford less my 250 deductible. Once they received the police report showing he was "at fault" (He received a ticket) they sent me a check for the deductible and I paid ford the 250.

18. Mick

from Maine

No, it won't.

Yes, they want a GL policy for $1M.

19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Save yourself a whole lot of grief, time, and money, and look up Potter & Roose in Flint. Ask for Patty. There have been about a dozen or so people from around the state on here and Lawnsite that have went with them, and came back on saying they saved money, AND got goo coverage and service. we have been with them for years.

20. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i wouldn't use American Family unless you have no other options. i know a lot of people insured with them ... not one of them has had a claim paid. they will drop you the second you file one. at least that what they did to me (2 times ) and 7 other people i have worked with over the years.