1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck hunting question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by committed2grow, May 31, 2009.

1. committed2grow

committed2grow Junior Member

I've been landscaping for 5 years and plowing for 2 and am looking for a truck of my own to start out on. I've got the wheel base and suspension understood but looking for a specific motor has my head spinning. From what I've read deisel or gas will work and each has their followers, but which deisel or gas is where I get lost. I haven't been able to find a ford 7.3 Deisel with a reasonable amount of miles, and Chevy and GMC engines I have no clue about. I have found a 2003 Chevy 3500 with 50,000 miles 4x4 (engine is an 8 cylinder gasser and the engine pic shows vortec on it if that helps). I also have found a 2005 F250 Superduty 8 cylinder gasser with 49,000 miles. If these aren't right I can keep looking but I just want to specify what I'm looking for.
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy the Ford gasser if you are only looking between Ford and Chevy. Fords sit higher and dont need the added help to carry a plow.
  3. committed2grow

The brand isn't as important as the engine tranny and suspension setup is to me. I have no brand loyalty.
  4. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

chevys carry plows very good they don't need any help to carry plows

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you crank the T-bars on that? I had a 2005 the was HORRID with the plow on it, sold it once the frame cracked and had to be fixed! NEVER AGAIN
  6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Don't be afraid of the higher mileage 7.3 motors. If the truck was maintained they can go 250-300k + without major issues. Ford, Chevy, Dodge it doesn't matter as much as atruck that was taken care of IMO. Good Luck:drinkup:
  7. committed2grow

Well I found a 2004 F250 with 45k miles 4x4. Meyers Minute mount 2 plow. light ontop of the cab and a diamond plate tool box. All this for 14k dollars from a dealer so I got the lifetime oil changes. hopefuly this will have been a wise choice. The carfax came back clean as well
  8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Awful lot of sag..... :p I'm just glad he made the right decision and went with a Ford. At least he will be happy with his choice, and be happy to know he can put a blade on and only sag an inch.... Or, is that just me? ussmileyflag
  9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i will agree that the fords sag a little less with a plow one them. My chevy dropped ALOT before i added timbrens, cranked the bars up, and i still needed a good 1000lbs of ballast. That aside, it had no problem pushing snow
  10. committed2grow

The auto loan that I had secured fell threw they said that it was a 1 ton and that it was to heavy duty for personal use. is there a better way to get this loan without getting a small business loan. have other people had this same problem?
  11. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Wait.... They called it a 1 ton? Too heavy for personal use? Correct them.... A Ford F250 is 3/4 ton truck.
  12. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

i would go with a ford. they have a good strong chassis. here is my truck no squat :)

no squat with plow up and none with no plow on :)
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009