1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Willman940, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Alright, so hopefully this won't end badly but.

My name is Will. I'm 18 and I'm looking to buy a diesel Pickup. I like for super dutys Wouldn't mind a Cummins. I have a Chevy now, and I'm tried of replacing expensive electronics (its my dad's truck, I keep a policy of fixing what I break since it's not my truck). I want a truck because I'm a general odd jobsmen, I keep a couple lawn accounts and get other stuff here and there. I'm on the verge of getting plowing accounts if I can get some equipment in line.

I posted this in the ford thread because I want you opinion on where I'd be better of, a 7.3 or 6.0. Also body configuration, I've noticed fords tend to handle better which I like, but I'm guessing that's also dependent on wheelbase. I know I don't need a 350 but I'm going to take whatever I can find for the right price. I bring the engine in to question because bouncing it between my friends has gotten me no where. The only thing in common is that non of them think I should get a diesel, but from my point of view diesels tend to have (females excuse the language) less ******** involved. I have a couple buddies with 6.0s, one has his throw rod at 115k and ford left him out to dry. Another had his head studs blown off though it was chipped. As for 7.3s its just hard to find one that wasn't beaten on, though I've heard no real complaints engine wise. I had a buddy who picked one up, it needed and oil change starter and water pump but other then that shes a champ.

Mainly ask this because I don't want to end up beached on shits creek. I've currently been looking at everything under 180k (because about there they seem to have become neglected to a point where I'd be doing more then 3 grand in repairs) but I am semi new to the used truck world especially diesels.

This is not to say Cumminses are different. I had a friend get one and has to do injectors within a month, again another place I end up.

I appreciate all your insight, Have a great week.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

The 7.3 is the best motor Ford ever offered. If you can find one that has been reasonably maintained don't be afraid of the mileage. However, the rest of the truck usually doesn't last as long without some TLC and $$$.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, modern diesels are simple, and inexpensive to maintain or repair.
  4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with a 7.3 before the 6.0. But there are some nice 6.0's out there, just delete the EGR don't mod it, and you should be fine. The tranny is much better with the 6.0's as well.

You also can't go wrong with a 5.9 Cummins. Probably the best diesel ever built, weakest point is the 47RE tranny behind it. The torque converters go and then the tranny goes. Regardless, they are both very reliable if you don't beat on it, maintain it, and don't mod it.
  5. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I was going to post this in the dodge section but I guess since it's been for-mentioned I'll go into it. the I know the dodges are good trucks but their even harder to find then the 7.3s, not beaten or with low mileage. I've been staying away from trucks over 180K just to not waste my gas going to look at it. Also as I'm new to plowing, I'm looking for a automatic, my lieutenant at the FD used to plow said that buying a manny isn't worth the trouble of learning to plow with it as you can chew them up just as easy. I'm at so looking for a truck with a manual transfer case because I'm old school in my thinking and would rather have a lever to pull then a knob to turn.

how do you guys find the handling in your respective trucks?
  6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you definitely want a manual transfer case with manual locking hubs. the electric shift transfer case sucks balls. the shift motors stop working at the worst times, and the automatic hubs just plain suck.

good condition low mileage 7.3 powered trucks are out there, you just need to keep your eyes open.
    i picked up an 02 7.3 superduty with 142,000 miles on it 2 years ago for $12,000.
    it came complete with a myer's C-8 plow, and an E-60 pump, new batteries, new ball joints, new brakes, and new tires
  7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the trucks mentioned. I have a 6.0, my father has a 7.3, and he used to have a cummins. Just so you know he had 223,000 on the dodge when he got rid of it. At about 210,000 the injector pump went out, that was the only egine problem he had, yes he did have some tranny problems in it. He never really pulled with it, just occasionlly and only light plowing. The only reason he swiched to ford is his wife works at ford and got a good deal.

He likes his 7.3 but he said he got better mileage with his old dodge. The other thing he and I hate is the turning radius of the ford, until you get to 05 or newer, big improvementon on that. He also felt his dodge was better starting when it was cold, he likes to ice fish so plugging it in on the klake isn't an option, (he plans to keep a small generator in his toolbox this winter when he heads out ot lake of the woods.) Same amount of towing, but more plowing with this truck. He has about 120,000 and has been problem free, this winter he had the front end gone through and redone.

I love my 6.0, the tow haul mode is great if you are pulling heavy loads, it hepls slow the truck down, as said before the 6.0 have a better tranny, I would agree with that also. When I used to park outside I never had any problems with it starting. As I said above in 05 they switched to coil over front suspension and it turns much sharper, a big plus for me in some of the rezis I plow. Supercab with the
    8' box, all three of these trucks are the same configuration. If you do end up getting one that has electronic 4wd, try to use it at least once a month. I have heard this before and have done with all my 4wd trucks, maybe it is just a myth but it has worked for me so far. I pnly have 50,000 on mine and it has been great, I do a good amount of pulling, skid loader dump trailer, and full time plowing with it (3 winters). I haven't had any problems but again only 50,000 on it.

Sorry if this was a long rant, these are just mine and my fathers opinions, but they have all been good trucks. Same as above if it isn't going to be a project truck, leave it stock and maintain it and I think you will be fine.

Keep us posted on what you end up getting, if you are still reading this, hope I didn't bore you to death.
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Funny, I've always liked the manual 4x4 better myself for the same reasons, but the only 4x4 problems I've had engaging has been the manual 4x4 levers. All of my electric transfer case's have been flawless, knock on wood.
  9. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Thanks guys, its nice to hear from people in my kneck of the woods too. Don't worry about ranting, thats something us midwesterners tend to do, and I'd rather read more and not end up in trouble then skip over and be paying repair bills. I've been working alot lately and havn't been able to call back on the truck's I've found, I've been talking to my friend about his 00 7.3 ext cab long box. He bought it from his high school teacher at 98k after it sat for 2 years. Like I said he had to put a water pump in balls joint (only 1?) in it and it's just rolled over 101, He got it for a steal but since its his truck he has personal bias and wants more then I can afford, I've been slowly knocking him down, but I'm still not sure I want that truck. mainly because it was sitting, and he tends to beat hard on his trucks, though I'm not sure how bad it could be in 3000 miles. Another friend announced at a bonfire the other night that he is thinking about selling his 05 2500hd. I know as I said I didn't want another GM product which is 1 of 2 reasons why I'm skeptical, but he bought it new, it has a plow mount and I know that he babied it. He plowed driveways though high school and anything too big he would bring in a bobcat for. He is selling it because A he wants a new truck, and B it struggles to pull hes new 22' dumptrailer fully loaded with a bobcat. I consider this gasser because I know that for now I won't need more power then it has, and it litterally just rolled over 80k last week, Now to wait for his price. Other then that, the search continues.

Have a great weekend all,

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would tend to stay away from the 6.0 Diesel. I have had way too many at work have engine problems. The 08 I used to drive had major engine problems at just 120K miles! The ambulances are well maintained,fluids checked daily. The one I drive now is an 08 with 112K on it. The engine has a psycho radiator fan, runs like manure for the first 100 yards when cold. It goes into funky idle mode at times too. Problems I never see with a 7.3. You want a great engine get the last year 7.3 or any year for that matter. The body will be shedding parts long before the engine dies. I have seen them with 400K on them.--> They smoke a bit, but start well and go down the road a little weaker then when new.