1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck heating up with new plow .. should I add fan?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by brenster, Jan 19, 2011.

1. brenster

brenster Junior Member

I was using a low profile board prior to my new Lot Pro 7.5 .. I am noticing that I cant seem to drop the plow enough when traveling to keep the truck cool ... its starting to heat everything up even at 30-40 mph ... talking with buddy who works in tranny factory ..says .. that I should use separate cooler (rad) for tranny .. but I was thinking of adding in an additional fan with a simple switch that I could throw when I see my temps getting up or when I plan to drive a distance with the plow on . Have any of you guys done this and what were your results?

2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

year make model would help:waving:
  3. brenster

brenster Junior Member

Gmc k-3500 (2000)

My apologies ... I figured you folks would just "know" what truck I drive ..

I have the 1 ton 2000 GMC with 454 ... single wheel , regular cab, ..
    I have the new Lot Pro 7.5 E-58H...
    The Pivot Pro 1075 spreader on back ...

Im trying to multi task while posting here ... sorry .. I didnt get a manual from my dealer and Im trying to set my drop speed down a little .... looking for a manual online ...

thanks fellas ...
  4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Most over-heating is caused by lack of air to radiator. My main plow truck blade stands 32'' tall I can only have blade lifted 3'' otherwise I'll overheat ...
    Alot of guys try bigger radiators, fans and still over-heat keep radiator open problem solved.
  5. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Ran into the same problem kinda with my 7.3. My problem was when slow driving or plowing my tranny temps would get to high. I installed an electric fan from orielly's auto parts $59.99 and wired it to a switch like you are talking about. Works great. When it starts to warm up I flip the switch and it maintains the temp good for me. You can also get a fan with a thermostat that flips he fan on automatically when the temp is at 180 and off at 170. But those will run you closer to $150 thru summit racing. Hope this helps a little.
  6. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I've read a bunch of solutions to this problem on this site. Yours is the most sensible I've seen. I think I'll give it a try.
  7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have you tried angling the plow (instread of just raising or lowering it)?

I used to have a straight blade that would cause the tranny temp to rise (even with a tranny cooler); I could cool it down easily by just angling the blade.

I changed plows awhile ago and use a V plow now; no overheating issues with it.