1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck headlights not working, Boss plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pitrack, Feb 3, 2013.

1. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

Hey guys I have a Boss plow on my truck. Just the other day I was driving around, no plow, with my truck headlights on (HID's that have worked fine for years). Well I get home then go to leave and all of a sudden my headlights don't work. Parking lights, fog lights everything else works fine just no headlights.

I had the plow on earlier that day and did notice that my plow headlights wouldn't come on, but my truck headlights worked fine. I messed with the plow switch between truck and plow when the plow was on and the plow lights still wouldn't come on.

Withe the plow off I flipped the switch back and forth again multiple times and still nothing. When the key is turned I can hear the "click" from the engine bay like the switch is working.

Any ideas guys? I don't think both of my HID's would go out at the same time. And I also tried plugging a factory bulb in and it still didn't come on.

Any help would be awesome.

2. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

Nobody has any ideas?

3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

a fuse maybe?

4. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

Checked all fuses, there aren't even fuses for head lights actually.

5. deankats

deankats Junior Member
    from Ottawa

I have the same problem on mine, my bro just noticed it early this morning on his way to TO pick up a jeep.
    disconnected the plow yesterday, and now parking and fog lights work, no headlights working

Any help will be appreciated.

6. luv2weld

luv2weld Junior Member

Pretty sure it is a relay (or 2)
    Had the same problem with mine.
    Follow the wires back from your headlights.
    Mine had 2 relays wired in that switch from plow lights to truck headlights.
    Swap them out one at a time with new relays. DO NOT use relays
    from Radio Shack. They are not heavy enough and will burn out on the first or second
    use. Don't ask how I know this.
    Get new relays from an auto parts store----probably need at least 30 amp relays.
    Swap one wire at a time!!!! That way you are less likely to mix them up.
    Might be a good idea to take a picture of the wires on the relays before you start.
    That way if you get interrupted, you can still figure out which wire goes where.

Ralph

7. deankats

deankats Junior Member
    from Ottawa

Thanks Ralph,
    I'll try that as soon as he gets back.

8. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

On my Ford F250, the light wires ran through the steering column. When everything but the headlights came on, I found that if I moved the tilt on the steering wheel the headlights would come back on. It would only work so long so I had to get it repaired.