1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck has to crank to start when sitting for awhile.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Oct 18, 2010.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have a 98 K1500 with a 5.7L with 116,000 miles on it. I don't drive it much these days so it sits a lot. I last drove it at the beginning of Sep at which time I also replaced the five year old battery that had gone dead and had a bad cell.

Today I start it and it cranks over about four times before starting. The cranking was strong so the battery appears okay. In the past, this truck has always started on the first turn of the key so I'm thinking that I may be slowly losing fuel pressure when the truck sits for extended periods of time. The truck had no problems starting the week I drove the truck after the battery replacement so its not like the pressure bleeds off overnight. All of the ignition components are fairly new as well as the gas cap.

I have not had a chance to put a fuel pressure gauge on it but I was wondering if this sounds like a fuel pressure issue and are the fuel pressure regulators on this engine problematic? The FPR and injectors are original and I know that the poppet injectors on this engine is not the most reliable though I have never had a problem with them up to this point and have not heard anything bad about the FPR's.

If I find out that I am losing fuel pressure, how do I go about pinpointing where I'm losing pressure at? Thanks for any ideas or input.

Wayne

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Like this happened on my ex 01 f250 that I bought for $400.

Fuel filter inside have green slime I cut apart. It moldy. It was sit for 3 years before I bought.

That sound like fuel pump is ready to go bad but you should check fuel pressure first to see.

3. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

fuel filter is fairly new but the fuel pump was replaced at about 36,000 miles so it has some miles on it.

Wayne

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Then check fuel pressure and let us know if it good or bad.

But quick test

did you try turn on but don't start do you hear pump? Then try off and ON do for 3-5 times before you try start. Did it make different?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very much so. The next time it's allowed to set for a prolonged period cycle the ignition a few times before actually cranking it over. If it starts faster then it's just FP bleeding off over a period of time. And after a whole month and still only four cranks before catching I wouldn't even be concerned about it at this point. Most perfectly working vehicles won't hold good FP for more than a few days to a week at best anyway. You simply notice it more on the Vortec engines because they need more FP to open the poppet injectors than an engine with normal electrical triggered injectors.

So, you can check the FP as a preventive measure but at this point I wouldn't even get too excited about a slightly longer crank time after that much non use. I'm sure there's bigger fish to fry. :nod:

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I do hear the fuel pump everytime I turn the key on without starting the truck.

It probably has only been in the last six months that the truck has not started on the first turn of the key and part of that was the bad battery. I guess I was just a little concerned because its doing something it has not done in the past. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though.

Eventually I will replace the poppet injectors with the revised injector spider for this truck when it becomes more of an issue or the FPR goes out completely. Thanks for the input.

Wayne