1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Harness bracket

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Alaska Boss, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I just became a member of the family of Blizzard owners a couple weeks ago when I bought a 860 Speedwing,... but one thing that really struck me as odd, is that Blizzard apparently doesn't make a bracket of some sort for the truck-side wiring harness to mount into. I asked my dealer about that,.. he just said,... "Nope, they just hang there like that." Is that right? The thing almost hits the ground if I pull it straight down! He said you have to have some slack/extra room to wiggle the plugs together to be sure you're getting a good connection when attaching the plow. Well,... I know I live too close to Murphy,... and it's just a matter of time before I hook or hang it up on something & tear off or damage it,... has anyone out there found or made something to mount the truck harness more solidly,... and to give it more protection? I think I'd rather have it above the bumper than have it dangling under it like that. I know I can make something up,.. but just wondering if something else is already available,.. thanks

PICT0001 (Small).JPG
  2. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

When I switched from my 8-2V boss to my 810 I used the same bracket that held my boss plug.
  3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Blizzard truck side harness used to come with the bracket you desire, most found as your dealer told you, that the plug didnt stay connected. I use the bracket with a little ball bunge to keep it connected.

From your picture, you could run the harness out above the bumper through the grille, instead of below.

Either way, for storage, just tuck the end up/around tow hook or plow mount.
  4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I think you can still order one from your dealer.It probably depends on the truck its mounted on. I have one on my old body style Chev and it stays connected just fine.
  5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Like fastjohnny said just route the wire through the grille and you'll be fine. Then you can tuck it away in the off season. I had a mount on my old 810 and the plug would loosen up on it's own. I cut it loose and it was fine. Let it float but make sure it won't rub through on any sharp edges behind the grille. Good luck!!!
  6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Apparently there is none

Thanks for the replies,... I have never had any trouble with the connections on any of my other plows coming apart, etc.,... and they have all had solid-mounted brackets, so I guess it struck me as kinda weird that Blizzard just has their's hanging in the wind. I think I'll just make something up on my own & re-route it above the bumper. I've only used this Speedwing on a couple jobs so far, and the ball of ice/snow that built up on the connections of the harness had it dragging along just a couple inches off the ground. Maybe when I get it done, I'll post it in case anyone else doesn't care for it like this. Thanks again :salute:
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think you would give a unbiased comparison.
    I am wondering what your impressions are as you are going from a BossV to a blizzard for the first time.
  8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Well,... thanks for asking, but I'm not really going from a Boss V to a Blizzard,... I just added it as my back-up plow. From what little I've used it so far, I like it,... but it's kinda like apples & oranges. I really like my Boss, even tho I've had more trouble with it than all my other plows put together. I'll never be without a V, but I figured having these 2 would be the best of both worlds. I also wanted to get away from hanging a half-ton plow off the front of my trucks, (my Boss broke my Chevy in half, so I chose the SW over the 810, saving over 200lbs., and the SW pins back to 9'9", so it's virtually a 10' plow too). I saw right away that plowing with spring-loaded wings is different, because you can't get any closer to something than what you need to clear it when the wing is folded back. I know how tough the Boss plows are, and I'm hoping that this Speedwing can hold up as well, since I plow some real crappy roads, with big rocks, stumps & u name it,... I have no pavement. I didn't know until I bought this plow that you still have to fool with putting pins in manually to be fully attached, which is not that big of a deal, but after having a Western, Fisher, SnowWay, Boss and now this Blizzard, my vote for the nicest attachment system is the Smarthitch, although they're all better now than any of them were 15 - 20 years ago. For my smoothest plowing jobs, it seems like the V just does not clean as nice as a straight blade, and the "finish" with this new plow is as nice as it gets. I think I'm going to make a truck-harness mount out of a Boss mount, like fulltiltwill said,... I just know that I'm gonna have trouble down the road with the harness hanging that low & loose,... I've never had any trouble with my Boss harness working loose, so I think that should be ok. I'll take some pictures & comparisons later this winter of these 2 plows together,... and maybe be better informed as to the pros & cons. Thanks again for asking,.... hope you guys in MN get some snow soon! :salute:
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  9. truckie36

truckie36 Member

The only difference that I can think of between the Blizzard harness and other plows is that the plow side harness on a Blizzard moves with the plow. It may not make a difference, but mounting the truck side solid may allow it to work itself loose while plowing.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thanks for the feed back,.Alaska Boss
    I'll ask again in a month and see how it is working out.

snow?? maybe we'll get an inch or two this week.

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

Hey Boss,
    On my "92 Ford, the guys who installed my 810 powerplow put the connection through the grill. I haven"t had any problems with it that way.

See ya,
  12. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Dont mount the plug to the truck! The blizzard plugs are big and need to move together with the blade from side to side. I originally had both my blizzard plugs mounted. The bracket keeps them from moving causes the inner plugs to cross and rub since on side of the plug is moving and the other isnt. Basically what i am saying is the plugs get messed up causing a bunch of electrical problems and that is not something you want with a blizzard. When your not using the truck plug tuck it behind the bumper. Just my two cents and saving you a ton of potential problems.
  13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Thanks,... I was kinda thinking the same thing, since Blizzard apparently had a bracket on earlier plows,... if they quit using it, there must be a reason. And if they haven't changed the style of plugs, then allowing for movement must be the reason. My Snow-Way was like the Blizzard, with the hydraulic package mounted on the A-frame, but they had a metal twist-lock type connector, which always stayed connected, but was kind of a pain, since it always got iced up. I think I'll just re-route it over the top of the bumper with plenty of slack and see how that goes. It can actually hit the ground like it is if it gets a ball of ice or snow built up on it, so I know that isn't good either. Thanks again.
  14. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Over the bumper on that Cheve is the preferred location for the harness. Other wise we shorten it up ALOT and use a cable clamp to the bottom of the bumper. These are the loops with rubber coating on them and bolt mounting location that the harness can run thru the loop. Take the protective cap off of the plow side too as the ball up with snow quite readily. Use it when you store it only.

I see that you've already seen how it cleans up. The whole family of them work that way for there corresponding trucks.

Good luck this winter. I have stock blizzard brackets if you want to try one but I was one of the ones that told the factory to quit using them for the reason listed above with movement of one side vs the other side solid.

Don't fall through the permafrost holes.

15. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Thanks Jerre for your input as well,... I know you guys know what you're talking about, so I'm going to do as you say, and just go above the bumper without a bracket. I would have bought a Blizzard years ago when they first came out, but the only dealer in Alaska was 240 miles away,... and it appeared to be a guy working out of his garage, with no parts inventory, etc.... I just couldn't take risks like that. I remember building my own angle wings for a plow I had back in the 80's,... I had never heard of them before, and several friends had me build sets for their plows too after they saw what I had,.... man o man, I thought I had re-invented the wheel! I remember reading here or on the other site, of someone bending the whole moldboard on one of these Speedwings from just apparently pushing too much,... have you seen that, or is that just someone who must have hit something? I'm not really too concerned, but I figured if anyone has seen/heard of that as maybe more than abuse, it would be you. Thanks again for your input. Dave
  16. truckie36

truckie36 Member

I took part in that thread. I asked several times for pictures showing the bent moldboards, none were ever provided.