1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck got struke by lightning last Wednesday.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, Jun 28, 2010.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Last Wednesday we had a nasty storm and lightning hit my house, my Pin Oak tree and my truck. Truck is fine except my remote start doesn't work and it thinks my hood is unlatched. Could there be a fuse that popped to cause these two things to go wrong. Really strange, I will propbably take it to the dealer but thought i would try checking the fuses first. I couldn't find a fuse listed for the remote start, any ideas? I've never heard of lightning damaging a vehicle like this, what i get for parking next to a 70' tree.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I would guess that there could be a fried wire, sensor, or some part of the module may be screwed up....i can't believe thats the only damage! Could have been a lot worse
  3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Most remote starters have a fuse(s) in the wire harness. atleast the ones we deal with do.
    If you know where the remote starter module is, they just track the wires from it. This would be refering to aftermarket, can't speak to any factory remote starters, never seen them.

If you know the make, you might be able to get wiring diagram off the makers website.
  4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No kidding. this particluar lightining strike knocked out our phone line and also tripped two breakers in our home, sending sparks flying out of the cieling fan in our master bedroom. I found the damage to my truck the next morning. Yes could have been much much worse in so many ways. last week was a bad week in my neighborhood as far as storm damage, roofs blown off, trees on houses, crazy. We were lucky.
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Its the factory remote starter.
  6. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I used to work on a farm where the main truck was struck by lightning. It was a troublesome 6.0psd and besides the lightning frying the radio and main computer the truck has been trouble free since it got struck lol. Apparently large amounts of electricity are the key for 6.0's LOL