1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

?? truck frame paint ??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by red07gsxr, Oct 26, 2008.

1. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

what to paint my truck frame with...

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

rustoleum.

3. storm king

storm king Member

I have found rustoleum rusty metal primer to work really good on truck and equiptment chasis , seems to do a better job and last longer than some of the rubberized undercoatings we have tried before.

You can slap it on with a brush or get it in a spray can and if you get the heavy rust off it will go over a little surface rust no problem.

My 03 ford was rusting here and there after the first winter we got it and I coated it heavy with rustoleum and 5 years and 90,000 miles later no signs of rust at all.

4. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

gotta better one for ya..buy the spray cans of rubberized coating from auto zone or advance auto parts..runs the same price as the spray paint but offers more protection and lasts longer...i did it to my 87 blazer

5. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i want to brush it on. i am going to pull my truck bed this spring so i can clean and paint the frame. the truck is a 90 and doesnt have much signs of rust on the frame

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I try that it piece of junk. It will peel and won't stay like paint do. It was cost $5.99 for each.

I thought it would stay but they was gone in 3 days of drive though dirt road plus rain.

And it very stink I can't smell but that smell give me dizzy. I open all window with fan because I was spray floor in F150 to stop rust grow.

7. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

POR 15, one of the best paints i've seen. its solid once it dries!

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Rubberized undercoating sort of flakes after a while, then holds crap/moisture against metal IMO. Por-15 is great. Rustoleum is good but it is cheaper to buy truck/trailer or tractor paint @ TSC. Can get the enamel hardener w/ it. Seems to outperform Rustoleum every which way to Sunday and costs less to boot.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

POR-15 is nothing more than good,make that very good concrete floor paint,that is it!! Do not use it on metal as within a year or less,you'll be pulling black strips of it off your frame.I did everything as I was supposed to and then some--wasted 3 days doing a thorough stripping of the old crud,prepping, and painting it on--all for less than a year's protection.The only place it didn't come off is the concrete floor at my bud's body shop where I installed it---now 5-6 years later and being scrubbed to death,that POR still looks fresh!!!! I found someone at a trade show who used to work for POR and he did indeed tell me it's nothing more than concrete floor paint.

10. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

what should i use, i am getting negatives from every item.

11. storm king

storm king Member

Rustoleum rusty metal primer, a few coats and your frame is about as rust free as it gets .
    the rubberized crap is great untill it cracks and holds the moisture and salt water in , instead of out and you cant see the corosion untill your frame starts to rot out real bad, trust me stay away from the stuff ...been there done that.
    and the guys are right about por-15 on steel ...it'snot made for it , great on concrete , sucks on iron

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I sprayed mine with rubberized undercoating in a spray can a while back I took the time to clean and sand the frame. Well now maybe 6 months later its starting to peel off. I may end up scrapping it all off and painting it.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

PPG, makes a frame & radiator paint.
    It can be rolled brushed or sprayed on.
    I have had good results with it.

14. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

POR-15 works great if the frame is rusty if it still has undercoating or paint on it comes out bad and peels.

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Cat makes a very durable,reasonably priced paint that looks good for about 5 years.I've seen it on the frames of tri-axle dumps by me at this one large contractor's shop.The mechanic swears by it there.

17. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

Por 15...best stuff out there. Don't know why "tuney" had bad luck but nothing is perfect. It does bond better over rusty metal than on clean metal and when you use it on clean metal you need all there chemicals to etch it and clean it. It does need to be overcoated as UV rays will break it down.

18. The MAG Man

The MAG Man Junior Member

I've both had and seen nothing but failures using rubberized bed lining and undercoating in this application. Those rubberized coatings trap more moisture and salt brine than they repel and they are impossible to remove later when you go to paint it. The problem with a frame is that most people don't remove all of the riveted and separate parts so the coating never gets under and on everything and those voids create an entry point for moisture and trouble. Yank off the cross members and drill out the rivets so you can get the coating under everything and whatever you do will last a lifetime plus one.

Like any coating, the key is in surface preparation. Prepare the surface carefully and according to instructions and speaking from my own experience, I have had good luck with POR15. I've never had it come off in sheets at all. When something comes off in sheets, it's a surface prep problem.

There was period of time when we thought powder coating frames on restoration projects was a good idea but it is not as good as it seems. Like rubberized coatings, once you get any break in the coating, it creates an entry point and water is trapped underneath because those coatings are a matrix to themselves and are more like a vacuum sealed bubble pack than they are a paint coating which adheres to the surface.

Invest in surface prep and then apply what works for you.
    [​IMG]

19. storm king

storm king Member

Mag man, couldn't have said it better... the job is only as good as the prep work.
    Was talking with some people today who said the por 15 is great also. I had bad luck with it but some swear by it . oh well

20. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

thanks guys i think i am going to try it. come spring the bed comes off anf the frame gets sanded.