1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck frame damaged

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lagwagon, Dec 2, 2009.

1. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

I am looking at an ad for a 2000 Ford F250 with ``Frame Damage Branded Salvage`` for $3,900 CDN. I have no experience with damaged frames, but obviously it`s generally a big issue - regardless of the severity. However, if I just use it on private property for my own quarter acre lot, would that even be an option if the frame isn`t insanely damaged.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Depends on how badly its damaged. $3900 is a pretty expensive lot truck, but take a look- maybe it can be fixed.
  3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

The two questions that you would need to have answered is, how bad was it bent? and how well was it straightened ? A moderately damaged frame with a knowledgeable frame tech, good frame machine with a measuring system can generally return the frame to good working order. A unskilled attempt can be a future headache! I would recommend you have a good collision shop with an electronic measuring system measure the frame and provide you with a print out of the report. The report will tell you whether the damage has been corrected within the manufacturers specifications, and if it hasn't, what needs to be done to further correct it. Down here most shops can provide the measuring service for $150-$250.
  4. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

Thanks, guys. If the frame damage or bend is very minor, would it be possible to install a plow and workaround the issue. This would only be for one small lot and would not be driven on public roads.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

depends were the frame was damaged. if it was the front, i would pass. you wont get the plow mount on more than likely. if it goes on, the front end wont last long.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Have you seen the truck?

Salvaged because of frame damage most times means it has been to a body shop and it could have been wrapped around a tree or t-boned. If it was totaled and worth anything you can bet one of the body guys would have it and either fix it to sell or keep.

I would bet they are looking to sell it for parts. Be hard I would imagine to get a title to put plates on it if it has been salvaged already. No matter if is a lot truck or not it has to be registered to get proper insurance, I would walk away unless I was looking for a parts truck of that type.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009