1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck for v-plow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scooterdayton, Oct 21, 2010.

1. scooterdayton

scooterdayton Junior Member

Hey guys,
    adding another truck this year and deffinatly going with a hiniker v.

will a chevy 350/v8 push a 800lbs poly v plow?

reason im asking is i went and checked out a chevy 3500 with the 350 and the hiniker-v, looked great but wouldnt pull a sick ***** off a toilet seat. i was so pissed. no wonder why he was trying to sell it. wondering if a 350 is enough to push that big of a plow?

i started looking at
    chevy 3500 v8 350
    chevy 2500
    chevy 2500 hd
    f350 powerstroke
    cummins 2500/3500

thanks a lot for your time guys!!!!!!!

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'd definitely lean towards diesel if your serious about plowing. It will have all the torque you need. However a 350 should do fine plowing. Is it an older truck? Maybe it's getting tired.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What year was the truck? I pushed an 8.5 XV with a 97 K2500 no problem.

4. scooterdayton

scooterdayton Junior Member

ok great,
    i guess i still have lots of options.
    on that 2500 are you running with timbrens or anything to help the front end?
    have you needed to replace any of the front end yet?

the truck i looked at was a 2000 chevy 3500 with 175000 miles on it.
    he had just putt the plow on it, so i was thinking maybe he over rev'd it trying to push the v plow. felt like it was running on 7 cylinders and missing.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Youll want to get the ford if you want quality!

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I pushed a Boss V-blade with a 351 in a Ford. It pushed just fine but I had to use 4-Low with the slushy stuff.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

good choice on the plow...

is it the poly?

And as for the list of trucks...I like the last 3...but would personally pick the 5th.

8. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, I currently have 3 of those trucks, (Chevy 3500 w/5.7 engines),... and even tho I could buy anything I wanted, I still choose those. The 2000 Chevy 3500 is the last year that they had the 5.7 (350) in their pickups, so the newest combo like that that you can find is going to be 10 years old. All I can tell you is what my experience with these has been,... and if GM has ever made a more bullet-proof drivetrain than the 5.7 w/5-speed manual tranny, I don't know what it would be. My '92 has over 300,000 miles on it now, and has plowed for 8 years with a 9.2 Boss V-blade,... and in this part of Alaska, my plowing season is at least 7 months long, with many plowing days at temps of -50° and even colder,... so I doubt that too many guys put their rigs thru a more rigorous plowing life than I do. After having 5 of these trucks now,... I can still say (knock on wood) that I have never ONCE had a major component failure (engine, trans, T-case, front or rear dif). That would be after well in excess of a half-million miles on these trucks, (not all by me),... but I'm not going to live long enough to prove that something else could be better. I live in an area of Alaska that has some of the deepest snowfalls in the Northern Hemisphere,... and even tho I don't directly plow in the midst of that, the 5.7 has never not been able to push what I drive it into. These trucks are old enough now that they have depreciated down to their true values,... and, in my opinion, offer some of the best profit-potential for moving snow. That's why I traveled all the way down to Missouri last fall when I found an absolutely mint and spotless 2000 Chevy 3500 RC/SRW w/5-speed,... I surely didn't need to do that,... but it's still what I choose, when I could choose anything. Good luck on whatever you do,.... payup:waving:

snogo 8.jpg

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Finally get that tune straightened out AB?

10. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Not really,... they finally got my speedo close (after 4 tries), but the power/gas mileage increases when it was all said & done was virtually nothing,... :realmad: