1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck...er....SUV....?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boogernaut, Nov 18, 2004.

1. boogernaut

boogernaut Junior Member
    from OHIO

Basically new to snow plowing, although I've done it before in sub for someone else subbing. LOL, curious if an expedition or suburban could handle residential and some commercial pushes every winter. Looking for new transportation for the misses and would be an easy sale with a little bit of extra dough every winter with it. Anyone, opinion, upside, downside. Will a plow be easily found for such a SUV or will it fit without special modifications. Thanks in advance.

2. What year Expy? Is it a pre-2003? If it is there is one or two guyson these message boards that have plows on their trucks. It's basically an F-150 anyways. Same goes for the Suburban.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

you can get a 3/4 ton expiditon or suburban IIRC. also a crew cab PU with a bed has lotsa room and is pretty nice. avalanches too, and you can get a 3/4 ton avalanche.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I used 3/4 ton burb would be nice but be carefull of long wheel base club and crew cabs as that can put a bite on manuverabilty in tight areas.

5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I don't think you get a 3/4 ton expedition. At least I have never heard of one.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

ford dont make one? I figured since you could get a diesel one that they made 3/4 ton ones? :confused: I duno though

You could get a darango. Those things are cool, plus they have a hemi. Yeah.......hemi makes a mutant minivan with 4 doors cooooool :nod: :rolleyes:

7. ford doesn't put a diesel in the expy....yet. They do have the excursion with the PSD though.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With the towing rating and the PSD I bet the Excursion is a 3/4 ton or close.
    That's a lot of metal,engine,people and towing to be on 1/2 ton running gear. Like they said above those trucks are LONG, it would be a pain to maneuver.If your wife is like mine she will not drive it with the plow attached.

9. jdsfarm

jdsfarm Junior Member

SUV plow

I've been plowing my 350' driveway/parking area with a '95 half-ton Suburban for years now, and aside from the obvious issues with visibility and turning radius, the thing works great. I have a 7.5' Fisher MM that functions more like a 20-minute mount, so I end up driving around w/ the blade attached most of the winter. I'm looking right now for a new ride and new plow and considering a Suburban, Expo, Excursion, or crew cab P/U. I like the SUV because although it's not a daily driver for me ('04 Passat 1.8T), it serves us well for year-round haulin' of kids and gear as necessary.

Maybe not a great choice for makin' money, but for personal use I'd recommend it.

10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You must be doing soemthing wrong because I can drop my plows from start to finish in about 2 to 3 minutes tops (connectors and all) and about the same time hooking it up.

11. jdsfarm

jdsfarm Junior Member

Mm-2

Thanks Tarkus. I have no problem dropping and disconnecting the blade. My issue seems to be engaging the unit - alignment and height are tricky. Perhaps because I drop it on a crushed stone area of the drive - the support post sinks-in a bit and creates a challenge when I try to reconnect. The 3 hoses and one plug are a piece of cake.

I'm thinking about a lexan rig from Western, Boss, or Curtis. Any thoughts?

12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member