1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck &equipment questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pickering snow removal, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Hey guys hope everyones summer is going good still working on building my truck to suite. Ok after much debate and setting down with two ford reps i have went with another ford f-550 cab and chassis this one made it up to the upfitters in grand rapids so thats a good thing, This question kinda leans towards Chris wlyman iam having a reading service body installed so i can use this truck for the mobile repair has well has snow, kinda wondering what i might expect with this unit on the back i bought the low profile style to help with visabitly, just am a little concerned on how i will keep tools and repair equipment from flying all over during plowing.
    Next want to thank everybody here on all there inputs on v plows the truck is getting a 8.5 western v installed it will be my first v and iam going with it based on all the positive feed back i have read here.

the big question has anybody purchased or used a western icebreaker salt unit the outfitter has a stainless setting on a pallet and is willing to throw it in for another 4500.00 is this a good unit? is this a good price? I would like to install it on one of the other sds just dont know much about these units money is also coming into play here the new truck all upfitted is getting near the 50k range and thats a little more than i wanted to spend this year on equipment , maybe i should just stick with my old salt equipent for this year any comments would be of alot of help thanks
    regards fred
  2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Were you thinking of salting with the utility body? Because if your putting a nice body on there it will just beat the hell out of the paint and the body itself. The bodys can't be put up to be washed out and I've seen some rot prematurely due to salt sitting in the creases. As far as the tools my dad has a utility body and to keep the tools from sliding around he has shelves in the cabinets with the small hand tools and things like that in them. He's a gerneral contractor and doesn't have alot of small tools, but they don't seem to move real far. He has the reading body and it seems nicer and better built than some of the other bodies, and it doesn't leak all that much. Good luck with it.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

8.5' is tinny for a 550 IMO

550's are a big truck with a huge weight capacity up front.
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Because your F550 is going to be dually, 8.5' V plow would be too small. The outer of dually tires would most likely be riding over unplowed snow, which can cause hardpack and loss of traction. You will want to go with the 9.5' V plow instead.

How many accounts are you doing and what type? I think that if you are going to do alot of plowing, you better think about having a separate truck. I think that with those utility body it would pose safety hazard when plowing. Maybe it won't be that bad with the low profile.
  5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hi Fred! Congrats on the great new set up, & best of luck with it. I agree with the bigger plow comments. If the 8.5 is already bought\installed, maybe wings can be added to it? As far as the tools go, they make plenty of little features for those tool bodies to help with that problem, such as the drawers mentioned. Just have to take the time before the season starts to organize & pack it correctly, and then make sure the person using it understands the importance of keeping it that way.
    wxmn6, He has 7 other trucks plowing according to his signature, so I'm sure this truck will be used in an appropriate setting. I have plowed with trucks with no view in back, you just have to be a little more careful than when you are in a wide open pick up.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Hey Fred,good to see things worked out with Ford.I hope they found you a 7.3L ?

I'd also recommend you go bigger with the V-Blade,as 8.5' is way to small for that truck.9.5' would be better,and hopefully a little stronger.Some of the standard pickup plows don't seem to hold up well behind a heavy truck like that.You may want to look at some thing more commercial.

As far as the tools staying in the body,it will take some organization,and planning.You want to have as much onboard as you need,and still have room to fit it all in,and get it all strapped down.Magnetic socket holders,fitted tool trays,and clips will hold most of it down.Using smaller toolboxes to hold awkward stuff will help too.Tool sets that come in nice fitted plastic cases (like most of the Mac and Snap-on stuff),will be easier to work with,as you can take the whole set to the job,and back to the truck all the time.

Fluids and larger stuff can be stored in milk crates to stop they from sliding around.You can use outdoor carpet in some of the compartments,so they don't get all beat up and dirty from rusty chains,or leaking fluids.

Are you going with onboard air,and a torch\welder setup ?

I'd rethink the salter idea as well,unless you really need it.It can be done,but it will make a mess of that new body in no time if it's not meticulously cleaned after every run.
  7. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

I own an F-550 supercab Rugby dump bed, Diesel 7.3. I have a Boss 9'2" V for it. It definetly can handle the weight. I put the Buyers underbody toolboxes on it and put a rubber pad in the bottom. Stuff doesnt really get sloshed around too much. Keeps the big bulky stuff out of the back of the truck.
  8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I think a good body to put on that truck would be one of them Combination Service/Dump Body were u could still have a utility with the ability to use a spreader .And a dump body is always helpful with a lot of thing .http://www.worktruck.com/Commercial_Trucks/Dump/
  9. Pickering snow removal

re truck

Wow thanks for all the repleys first like brl said this another truck to add to our fleet the reason for the service body is i want to beable to sell off the ranger iam using and have a combo unit instead.

Big mistake has far has the plow is concerned the outfitters were leaning me away from the 9.5 not being the best setup so maybe i can still switch dont know if ithas been installed yet.

Chris this truck has dont kill me another 6.0l but it also has a fresh built motor which the ford rep has assured me the problems are worked out of them after march of this year produced i will hope for the best it did run quiet and powerful taking it up to the outfitters no 7.3s left to be found and its getting to near snow season to be waiting much longer .

The ice breaker is not for this new truck was gonna put it in one of the 250s just wanted to know if anyone has any input on the quailty of western units and if 4500.00 for a stainless unit seemed reasonable.

Like all suggested i will jhave to build in some holddowns forsure and yes chris i will carry air compressor, gen/welder plus small torch set once again thanks for all the repleys and once she gets up here ill post the pics of course has iam really excited to get the girl into the flock. were less than 45 days from the snow bidding wars fellows so wont be long and we can all get back here and have some snow fun take care

regards fred
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Fred I was going to say the same as far as indoor out door carpet but get to do one better get the rubberback one that they use for enterence matts ,they also make a 12x12 plastic that you can put in there.For your bodie I would rino it or some other type of spray in linner for putting the salter in there.There was a guy around here that plowed with a truck like your new 550 he had some great stops hidden in his cargo lights and some small rounds ones in the back of the body.
  11. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

I have also seen some guys spray all the inside tool boxes with the rino liner or something similar, it seems to work good, keeps everything in place and should also keep it from rotting out. Just my two cents.

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Fred, you won't be happy with the 8.5 plow. I've got a 9' on my 550 and the rear tires drag through the windrow going straight, let alone around a turn. Even if the frame has been mounted, you ought to be able to swap for a bigger blade, they usually use the same mount.
  13. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

9.5' v-plow , however the past few years have show that the regular fisher/ or western plow can't take the abuse of long term. However there aren't a lot of good options.

Ahh the service body. If you can drive very easy they are fine, however for most plow operators i don't think they would be a good choice. The advanatge of a flat bed or dump body is it is easy to clean the spreader, where if you use a service body cleaning is much harder. I also wouldn't carry 10K in tools in one, just not a good idea IMO.

14. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Congrats on adding another to the fleet. Hope the ranger finds a good home.

Just got done outfitting a 550 with an 8611. Truck has a std cab and 8' body. Guy had a 9' Fisher on his last one and was constantly running over the snow when turning. Also for most snows he had more truck than plow. He's getting 6" less to run down the roads when not plowing and 2'3" more when he's using it.

Pelican I've got one warmed up for yours when your ready....LOL

Pelican is right about the common mount though. You can swap any unimount truck to truck. With v plow's the wiring is different but they make a jumper to run a straight with a v harness. The ultra mounts are the same. The 550 will have a heavier frame mount but the plow hook up is the same. If he's got the 9'6" available you should be able to swap with the 8'6".

Spreader price is a little high unless that's the installed on the truck with battery and options including tarp kit. I'd go stainless in any event because they hold up and hold value.

15. Pickering snow removal

Well thanks fellows for all the input, i guess i lost my repley that i sent yesterday so i will do it again. Chris i know your gonna kill me on this one but the truck is a 04 and yes another 6.0l has i had said yesterday i sat down with the ford reps over the other 550 that blew apart on the way home monthand a half ago, they explained all 6.0l built after june of this year have had all ness mods made to correct the on going issues, has good will on fords part they waived the 4700.00 option on the engine and made me feel very comfortable talking to there R&D guys that the problems have been corrected, there were no 7.3s anywere i drove has far has ohio and ind to several truck pools and just kept coming up with nothing , Has i drove this truck from dearborn to grand rapids i really noticed a big diff from the other one it was very quiet and made a ton of power so ill cross my fingers iam a diehard ford man and i belive in second chances so will see.

Has the service body is concerned i will be running a welder/ gen and a air compressor most all of this equipment were taking out of the old service truck and using on this new one i will have to use some ideas on keeping things in place. Thanks for the advice has well BRL has i too have plowed with no rear visabilty and it does take some getting use to but can be done and this truck does have pretty open rear view even with the service body .

Ok for the big mistake the plow the upfitters talked me down to the 8.5 iam not sure why i seen least 20 8.5 crates stacked i have to call down today and see how big a deal it is to change.
    Know i do have a question the duels and the run off from the snow must be a v issue because one of our first trucks we used was a f350 with a meyer straight blade i dont ever remeber having trail off issues .

Last but not least i know this is long the western ice breaker salt unit is not going to be installed in this new truck my question yesterday was does anybody know about there quality and durability and they told me 4500.00 for the stainless unit is this a good price? if i get it we will install it in one of the f250s ok sorry about the long post guys remeber less than 45 days til bidding time take care

regards fred
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Fred, the rear axle on the 550 is 7 1/2' wide sidewall to sidewall. The F-350 is just under 7'. My 9' angles pretty sharp and is about 7 1/2' at full angle so the spill off falls back into the tire tracks.

I'll bet your dealer has too many of the 8.5s and no 9s or 9.5s and didn't want to risk losing your business. I hate salesmen like that, give you what they have instead of what you need.
  17. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I run a F-450 with a 9' straight blade and I would not run anything smaller:

18. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Hey jeff thats a real nice truck:nod:
  19. Pickering snow removal

Sorry for the double post yesterday maybe my pc is up to something, thanks again for all the input guys. Pelican its been a long time since i seen your truck and not sure how long it would take to find in the our truck section i just rember how sharp it was kinda hoping for a another look i want to think about lettering this new one i dont mind lettering the service body but if you look at the pics of my other trucks i have stayed with lettering the back glass to keep from taking the risk of messing the paint up on the doors i know vinal will come back off but it usally leaves the paint forever with the company logo.

Jerre Heyer i wish we could have met up somehow to have gotton a little more info on blizzards the dealer in saginaw mi just doesnt act like they care if they sell one. which kinda scares me on the warr and warr service end of the deal. I honestly would drive this rig to erie to see ya but what would we do in jan if i needed help lol. Pelican hit it on the head with the upfitter thats building my truck all they have in stock is 8.5s so with that said and some calling around the western dealer in saginaw near me has one in stock so the two comapnys have agreed to make the money swapp so when the truck gets to me it will have the mounts and electrical on it i just have to go to saginaw to hitch up to the plow and its a done deal. whew i am getting tired all the leg work involed in this new truck i feel like iam getting ready to have another kid lol. once again like always thanks fellows

reagrds Fred
  20. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That's sounds like the right thing for your dealer to do. I am surpised that he is willlingly to do that. It looks like you will have a good strong long term dealer relationship and services. So now you can breath a little easier, that you are getting 9.5' V. :)