1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck dying while plowing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by glennemay, Feb 7, 2015.

1. glennemay

glennemay Member

OK. So I have a strange one.

When I am working my plow, lights on, overhead amber on and heater of course blowing in the truck, I can only move the plow around for a little while before the truck eventually dies out. I just cleaned my connectors (As we are expecting another 15 - 18 of the white stuff starting tonight) and will put things back together.

Once the truck dies, I can easilly jumpstart it and it comes back to life. BUT the battery is dead for a few minutes. Let it charge for a bit and I am good to go. Until I kill it again.

So my rig is a 2004 F350 DRW with the V10.

Plow is a Fisher MM1 9' HD.

Any suggestions on where to look are helpful.

Thanks
    G

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you might have a bad cell in the battery

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto, how old is it? Is it a single battery setup? If so, get a good quality marine deep cycle to replace it.

I'd first take it out, take it to interstate all battery, have them test it. If bad, replace.

Just took two in for my Kodiak. Had a full charge, so that looked good, once they load tested them, they failed to pass.

4. glennemay

glennemay Member

Cant honestly say I had thought battery. It is only 2 years old. NAPA high end battery. The one for police vehicles. I will check the load on it though. Interesting.

Thanks. Always nice to get another opinion. I of course always think the worst.

and yes, it is a single battery setup. I was thinking a 2 battery but in all honestly there is no real place to put it under the hood. Oddly enough, for a big truck, the underhood is less than cavernous.

Thanks
    G

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Check the individual cells with a hydrometer. I bet you'll find one low.

6. glennemay

glennemay Member

Battery is sealed. I suppose I could pry the cap off.

But I also just checked it. I get 12v resting voltage on the battery.

If I start the truck I get 12v. If I turn everything on, I get 12v.

SO I am not sure if the battery is overdrawing the system, or if the alternator is not pushing enough. Sort of banking the alternator is not pushing quite enough.

I can check it that way, but dont have any other way of looking it over.

G

7. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

get the battery tested autoparts test it free of charge

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Battery should be 12.5 or more and 14.5 with truck running after few minutes.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Screw that. All they check is the voltage.

I don't deal with anyone else besides a local guy who is about to retire and interstate battery center..

.... Pfffffft

10. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Not here they check everything Including the draw from the starter and charging system. I got my own tester to check everything as well

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Take it back to NAPA,to check it,This way they can warranty it.

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If I start the truck I get 12v. If I turn everything on, I get 12v.

Alternator.......like old said, 14.5 + while running.

13. glennemay

glennemay Member

So update to this one.

I plugged an OBD sensor in last night and ran the truck for about 30 miles. Registered 14v the whole time. Stopped and with the truck moving. (It bounced a little, but not much)

So the OBD thinks it is getting 14v. If I start moving the plow around, it does drop to 11.2.

So this feels alternator to me.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement alternator? Any experience with one being better or more powerful than another?

Again, Triton V10 2004 F350.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Bad plow or old motor will also draw down alt.

15. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Do you have any issues when the plow is not mounted?

My MVP had issues this year. Ran the truck electrical right down to where it died on me. Once the wiring and solenoud was replaced, everything was fine.

16. glennemay

glennemay Member

No. No issues when not plowing. I cleaned all the plow connectors yesterday.

17. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I posted this in the Western plows section last month when I had a similar problem. Hopefully it will help you...

Was still having the problem - truck didn't actually die again, but I could see the electrical system wanting to die. Took it to the Western dealer this morning. Turns out the battery cable on both the truck and plow side (the large connection, not the headlight connection), the solenoid, and the cable hooked up to the solenoid were all overheating and causing the issues (parts replaced were DD42014, DD42015, DD42901, and DD29071). According to the dealer, Western had a design problem with these relays and fixed them around 2009 (mine was installed in 2007).

Plowed after I got it fixed and no issues, so apparently that was the problem.

Kind of makes sense now on why my truck was completely dead, and then was ok after sitting for about an hour. I'm guessing that the cables/solenoid cooled off enough to not cause the issue (or short or whatever was happening).

So...if you have a pre 2009 Western, and you have power draw issues, have the plow cables checked out.

18. glennemay

glennemay Member

The plow I'd a fisher MM1. So definitely pre 2009 but slightly different. The kick I'd if the truck dies and I Jumpstart it all is good. But it definitely is electrically starved.

Nothing seems to be overheating. Is there a way to test without just replacing **** one after another?

19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Load test the alternator.