1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck doesnt always start at first turn

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sealer People, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi everyone, Im stumped on this one.
    I own a 1996, chevy 2500, 4x4, 6.5 turbo diesel.

About 3 weeks ago, the truck wasn't always starting with the first turn of the key, after it would be sitting all night & it was cold out,,, still I heard the click, but no start..

The second or third time turning the key back and forth, it would start up no problem. Ocassionally, I took it out of park & then back in, turn the key & she'd start. This went on for about 2 weeks.

Seems like after driving around & the truck got warm, she'd always start up with no troubles through the rest of the day,

I took it in to the shop,, they said it was the starter,. when pulling it off they noticed the wire leading to the starter was corroded. so they changed that first & the truck did the same thing after sitting all night.
    We just determined it was the starter after that, so we replaced it 2 days ago.

Yesterday morning, she started up, no problems (it was mild temperature outside).
    This morning, its colder out there,,,,, the truck did the same thing & didnt start up again.

First turn of the key, no start, just a click,,,,, second turn, she started up.

Seeing as the our snow season has started, Im afraid of this happening when I have to go out at 2 am.
    Not sure if the cold is triggering something, but that doesnt make any sence to me at all.

its a 1996, chevy 2500, 4x4 diesel, 6.5 turbo,
    Any advice ,, or what to look at next ???
  2. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

did you check the relays or starter solenoid?
  3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you check all other connections ???
    Battery Etc.

Loose connections will arc and eventually make a connection...
  4. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I was thinking to look at the ignition switch.
  5. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

mine did that every so often, banging the starter didn't help, finally no turn over - needed a starter- your may not be that ...