1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck dies

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by waveconcepts, Dec 3, 2008.

1. waveconcepts

waveconcepts Junior Member
    from indiana

ok new issue pulled out of the drive way hit the switch on the plow and wam everything died i dont mean dimmed out then shut of i mean like if a truck ran on a light switch an you just flipped it off died then shortly later after a few good kicks and wire wiggelin everything came back on like normal now normally for summer i wouldn't worry about it but since snow's a comin (hope fully) i would really hate for this to happen in 6 inches of snow with 30 mph winds and 0 temp. any idears this happend a year ago and it was a bad ground ended up puttin a butt connector on it but i'm thinkin i should just replace the whole wire it's a 1990 chevy 1500 (some one made the suggestion that the grounds were the biggest problem with those trucks run a few extra while i was at it what do we think???

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like main connection at battery make sure there tight and clean also ck where ur main ground wire opposite end of the battery connection as well.

3. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Sounds like a bad ground. Seeing that it happened when you hit the switch for the plow I would check all of those grounds as well. Remove them, clean them good, and put them back or replace them as needed.

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

hey,

was out plowing sunday with our old chevy and had a very very similar problem. in our case it was the battery but we have had very serious ground issues with our truck in recent weeks. have your battery and alternator tested to make sure they're up to snuff and it wouldn't hurt to make sure you have grounds going from the battery to the frame, the motor to the frame and the radiator support to the frame. hope this advice helps