1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Dies While Raising Plow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by SnowMatt13, Oct 28, 2007.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

My friend has a 7.5 Meyer on a Chevy 1500. When he raises the plow the truck dies. He just told me about it, I have not had a chance to look at it yet, but I told him to start with checking all the connections, making sure there are good grounds. Then test battery, and alternator. Am I going in the right direction? Not much experience with Meyer.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The plow is drawing too much power.. the truck needs a minimum of 10.5 volts to run. It's usually due to a poor connection or a defective battery or a weak plow pump motor drawing way to much power. If it's a single stud motor, check between the motor and the mounting plate for corrosion. They love to corrode there and it'll add a lot of resistance to the motor ground.
  3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, we'll start there.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have your battery VAT tested.

Check to see if the pump or motor is seized while you have it apart.

EEI TRUCK EQUIP Junior Member

Also Make Sure The Main Power Wire Isnt Grounding Out On The Core Support
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check and clean all the connections and protect them with Dielectric tune up grease.
    I would be if the battery and charging is good your pump motor is dieing. It's pulling too many amps and dropping the voltage too low for the computer to function hence engine stall. For a motor try calling an auto electrical rebuild shop. They may have rebuilt motors a lot cheaper then new and just as good.
  7. aquaman855

aquaman855 Junior Member

Truck dieing

Did your freind ever get the truck to stop dieing out when raising plow? If he tried everyones suggestions and still no luck, i have a 1 for him. Could need a new fuel pump in the tank. Sounds crazy, i know. but i had the same problem with my 89 gmc 2500 and i pulled my hair out for a long time. you see the fuel pump was going bad and wasnt giving full pressure when the plow wwas being raised due to voltage being a little low. The real trip was that the truck ran great with headlights on and everything. ,,, changed the pump and never had another problem. good luck
  8. chevykid

chevykid Member

that just happend to me last night first time using the plow since last year thought i was done for everytime i would raise the plow the truck would go black and battery light would come on soo i drove it around for a while then plowed a spot it seemed to get better idk wut it was very wierd but by the end of the night it was alot better i think my pump is still drawin to much power has
  9. MickiRig1

Does your truck have a volt gage? If not install one if you can. Amp gages are pretty much useless. The computer needs like 8 volts to operate, drop below that while running the pump and truck dies. With a volt gage you can keep an eye on the volts. Less then 12.5 volts your losing ground. Your able to notice if the battery is getting drained and not recovering with the gage.
    Charge up the battery with a battery charger. Take the truck to a parts store that will test the charging system and the battery.

Use the search function on the gray line to read posts about charging, power, best battery - etc.

It's been beat to death 10 times a year on the forum.
  10. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

My older meyer did this earlier this winter. Just had to tighten a wire on the solenoid under the hood.
  11. MickiRig1

That's one of the reasons we tell people to read up on the problem. I take for granite that you checked connections. There are many things that can cause charging problems. Try to diagnose problems, don't just throw parts at a problem. It will just upset you when it's not the problem !
  12. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Usually most electrical problems are due to a loose or bad connection. Make sure the solenoid is grounded and not rusted under firewall. Check all other connections to make sure they are clean and tight.
  13. lopomon

lopomon Junior Member

yeah, plow is drawing too much power. mine also does this sometimes, but instead of getting an additional battery, try these steps:

1. turn off your headlights where applicable, switch to parking lights

2. turn your heater down or off occasionally, the blower motor from the heater draws from the battery.

3. when pushing, try not to raise the plow all the way up, only raise it as much as is needed.
  14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Double up the alternators? = more stored power. But you shouldn't need to do that. hmmm let us know the current news!
  15. bronc069

bronc069 Junior Member
    from ohio

I had a similar problem, added a second ground one from the battery and one to the frame and i havent had any trouble since. you might try that.