1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck dies when warm

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Larry J, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Larry J

Larry J Junior Member

I have a 87" Chevy 1 ton crew cab 4X4. Three years ago I installed a new 502 cu. in. with Edelbrock multiport injection. About 8 months ago whenever the truck is warm and the outside temp gets warm over 80'. If I stop like to get gas for 5 minutes the truck starts okay, but it doesn't want to idle at all. I've used another computer chip same thing. Next step is the dealer and talking to them they don't know going in.

2. patman56

patman56 Junior Member

Sounds like it may be a vacuum leak on the manifold or vacuum lines. When it heats up the leak may be enlarged and the vacuum is lower because the choke is off. When the engine is cold the Choke is keeping the vacuum up.

To test this, get some Ether. With the engine running, spray it around the hoses and intake manifold. When the engine speeds up you found the leak. Be Careful on using the ether. It doesn’t take much, and the stuff is very volatile.