1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck description and plow choice questions.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Paraops, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Paraops

Paraops Junior Member

I'm going to start using my truck plow after years of saying I wouldn't. It's just come to the point I can't justify the money I spent on the truck and modifications done to it without it paying me back a little. The rig is an 08 F350, 6.4l Powerstroke, single rear. It's been lifted 4", and rides on 35x12.5x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, I still own the factory 20x8" wheels which I'll most likely put on the truck while plowing. I'm able to tune the truck to produce anywhere from 50 to 310 extra rwhp using software from Spartan Diesel.

My drive way, and our subdivision's road (1 mile long, 2 lane gravel, winding curves, hills, all in mature oak timber) are going to be the bulk of my plowing. I assume I'll on take a few accounts in town as well.

My intent is to tune the truck to stock HP or a bit over, add timbrens to the front, and mount the factory 20's on the truck for the plow season.

I've been considering a Western MVP Plus (8.5') for the plow.

Given the rig description, plow choice and jobs at hand, any input/advice from guys here on the forum would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

probabily going to have to modify the mount cus of the lift
    skinnier the tire the better for plowing

3. Paraops

Paraops Junior Member

I called Western and they said the mounting hardware will work. The plow performance won't suffer at all, the only issue I'll have is attaching and detaching the plow since max bumper height can be only around 17" for the receivers to line up with the plow when set on the ground. Mine measures about 24". I'll just set the plow on a couple stacked pallets or build a raised platform to set the plow on when not in use.

I will definately remount the factory wheels/tires when plowing.

4. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

I got a 02 dodge 2500 with 35X12.50 17 tires on it with a fisher xtreme V. I like it way better than western. I was actually going to buy a western till I used a extremeV even though fisher owns western there are big differences. They use the same pump and harness. That's about it.the fisher stacks higher uses larger pistons (faster and stronger) and the a frame is adjustable for ur height (fisher might be too though dnt remember. And the stock setting is better.

5. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

If you are mostly plowing roads (not many cul-de-sacs) there really isn't a need for a v blade. I'd go with a 9' straight blade if it was me. Brand doesn't matter as much as dealer support does.

6. Paraops

Paraops Junior Member

The ability to control snow with the blade in the scooP position is the main reason I'm going with a V. Our driveways are like our road, bordered my big oaks. Being able to push snow off the drive completely and not stacking it to the side is the goal. Drifting is also a significant issue out here. I assume the V would be the better choice there as well.

7. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

fisher does not own western, douglas dynamics owns fisher western and blizard http://www.douglasdynamics.com/about/ douglas seaman founded western in 1950 and incorporated his comany in 1977 (know today as douglas dynamics or ddi). dean fisher (who started fisher engineering in 1948) sold to ddi in 1984, armco then purchased ddi in 1991, who merged with ak steel in 1999, then ak steel sold to the investment group aurora capital group, douglas purchased blizzard in 2005-2006.
    sorry haha i just got done read that when i started reading this

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

ur right but douglas dynamics still makes fisher better than western and only bought blizzard for the wide out design. douglas uses an idea like gm with gmc and chevy. the gmc is nicer than chevy. fisher is like gmc and western are like chevy. will a western work, yes however a fisher works better trust me used almost all of em out there. will admit i have not used a new myer V or snow dog V but still.

9. 6.5 Chevy

6.5 Chevy Member

yes the v plow is better then the straight blade for Drifting and the first pass if you get a lot of snow
    I would go with fisher's 8'6" XtremeV plow or if you what a straight blade fisher's 8' XBLADE or HD Series plow
    http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/showroom/xtremev

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i got a friend with 08-09 i think f250 deisel with 4" lift and 35" tires with western vee blade and modifyed wings.

he was able to have his stuff adjusted with no mods he said and the v-blade scrapes good and works great.

here is how a guy did his that he sold on ebay few years ago. he had 4-6 lift on his truck and just mabe/bolted on these brackets and cut spliced the jack stand. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=66388&highlight=lift+fisher

11. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

Isn't there a 4th company affiliated with Douglas too? As for your plow decision. I just got my first Fisher and love how it stacks snow and how it mounts. Mine is just an old Minute Mount, but I like it much better that the Western Unimount.

12. Paraops

Paraops Junior Member

Surprised the mods didn't get involved and remind you guys of the thread topic. Pretty lenient here at PlowSite.com!