1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck cuts out when going over 60mph

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MillerJoel, Oct 24, 2007.

1. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I have a f150 and sometime when i go on the freeway when i coasting to get off it act like it is cut out any ideas

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

What year and engine?

3. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

2000 with a 5.4

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Could be your Idle Air Control or Throttle Position Sensor <--if it has one. The IAC feeds the intake air for the idle, it could be getting gummed up or failing. The TPS sends the position of the throttle to the computer. Any other performance problems? The TPS can cause other issues when it's going bad. Most of the stuff can be tested with a VOM measuring resistance or voltages. Rarely you need a vacuum pump / gage for testing. Most repair manuals have the testing procedures for fuel injection and emissions components.
    Maybe it needs a tune up, plugs, wires, all filters and a PCV.
    Might even try running a can of Sea Foam with a full tank of gas through it. The stuff can be magic in a can sometimes. It cleans carbon and gunk off of stuff in the intake and EGR circuits. It's saved me $65 a few times all for $8 !