1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Craft Spinner Motor problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Leisure Time LC, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

Hey Guys I need some help

I have a Truck Craft under tailgate spreader with the auger inside and my spinner motor spins and after about a minute of run time then slows and comes to a stop. When I called the manufacturer they said I needed a new motor. When I found out the price of $750.00 for the motor, I fell out of my chair.

Has anyone replaced their spinner motor with something other than what the manufacturers have?
  2. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

Yeah I had the same problem with one of their early models. I purchased a spare motor and found someone local to rebuild the motors from then on. The rebuilds were way cheaper but never seemed to last as long. I even took the rebuilds to my local Lin ex dealer for water proofing after the rebuild. Overall I was very unhappy with this Truckcraft unit and would never buy another. After this I learned salt and electric don't mix. I can't believe everyone is going to electric.
  3. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

My buddy said that he got 2 of them locally for the price of one from the Truck Craft dealer.

Here is the place he said that he got them from....

Hope that helps you out.
  4. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

Look at a electric motor company call truckcraft and get the spec the motors are leeson, 12 volt, In the past 10 years I have gone though 8 of them, It sucks but they need to be replaced. I only get 1 season out of them. When i talked to truckcraft and complained they told me to stop powerwashing the motor. I guess the problem is I wash my stuff to much and it ruins the motors????? Huh who would of guessed.
  5. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Everything ruins the motors, salt, water, etc. They are a horrible design, they last 2 years at best, and highly overpriced. I have 3 friends that run them and they will say the same exact thing. I'll keep my hydraulic and gas powered spreaders.
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I had the same deal with my Downeaster, they wanted $450 bucks for a new spinner motor, went down to Angellos with my old motor and they matched up a buyer motor for under $100.00. Worth the try if I were you.

Good Luck Mike
  7. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

What did you guys pay for the spreader attachment out the door? I got a quote for around 5500 and just about fell out of the chair at the dealer.
  8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Is this for a dump insert?

If not and you're looking for an undertailgate unit I'd highly reccomend a Swenson Electric Under Tailgate, we are very very happy with our thus far, seriously heavy duty motors compared to the salt dogg(Buyers) unit. Overall a very nice heavy duty unit. Ours was $4350 out the door we installed ourselves with some light fabrication.
  9. back drag girl

back drag girl Junior Member

Hi, its my understanding that angelos supplies has a good selecion of parts.
    check them out.
    Back drag girl
  10. back drag girl

back drag girl Junior Member

Hey there
    its my understanding that angelos supplies carries alot of parts, yu might want to try them.:redbounce