1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Considerations from the south

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jdoub12, Apr 3, 2010.

1. jdoub12

jdoub12 Junior Member
    from NC-MA

So, here is my story...I live in NC
    I will be moving to rural MA this summer to my wife's home town. My father in law has a plow in great condition that is sitting under a shed (I think it is an 8'). Said plow is mine if I ever get a "real truck" he says.

I did live in MA for 3 years, so I do know that a shovel hurts the back!

I have never plowed and I don't intend to start commercially right away. I intend to start with his driveway and mine to learn and maybe pick up a few jobs as I get good. I also have a good community there to give me pointers as I go.

I am interested in a big truck/plowing because:
    (1) I need the truck to move my junk up there
    (2) I have a 10,000# trailer that I will need to use 1-2 days a week.
    (3) I am considering buying a portable band sawmill weighing about 3-4k# for spring, summer, and fall work. would be pulling this hopefully 3-4 days a week.
    (4) I will need work in the winter
    (5) The plow is free
    (6) I think I will enjoy plowing

My question is primarily about the truck needed for plowing with considerations of the other uses for the truck. I am interested in doing all of this with one truck.

I am in NC at the moment and thought this would be the right place to look for a used truck. (I can almost guarantee they haven't been beat up from plowing!)

I test drove a 1999 F250 super cab auto. 4x4 wesport 7.3 Dieselwesport yesterday. It has 361,000 with supposedly rebuilt trans 60k ago. He wants $3500 and my 01 Tacoma 4.7 for it. That is about my price range.

Does this truck sound like too much, too little, or just right? Maybe a newer gas would be better??? I am open to the big three brands, diesel, or gas.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK???:dizzy:

I have read many of the posts here and have found some good information but I am having a real hard time deciding about a truck given my needs. THANK Y' ALL!!!:waving:
  2. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I operate a sawmill... I used to move it around but don't anymore I built a building and bolted it to the cement.... I now saw fultime 8 mnths out of the year and plow ruffly 4mnths... I own a one ton.... I don't think I wouldn't buy anything smaller than a 3/4 ton ... 361,000 sounds like alot of miles to me...

PS... what kind of mill you thinkin about buying ???
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. jdoub12

jdoub12 Junior Member
    from NC-MA

I'm glad to hear it a man can make a living sawin and plowin...
    Do you think that 99 f250 diesel would be a good fit for my purposes?
    It sounds like a lot of miles to me too, but I can get good value for my tacoma on the trade since he is looking for a smaller truck. Plus, they say that engine will run for ever...?

I'm looking at a Timberking B2000 maybe... though we should probably find another forum to talk about that...
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

That is alot of miles, reliability could be a problem and you may have things break often.
  5. jdoub12

jdoub12 Junior Member
    from NC-MA

Would a newer V8 gas do better for me? or try to find a 99 diesel with less miles?
  6. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

I would get a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton if your going to be pulling a lot i would go with the diesel!

that f250 i would only give like 6,000 for it but thats just me there are a lot of trucks out there so take your time and find what you really want
  7. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

I believe the first thing I would do is move here first, Get settled in somewhat and take in the local scenery in whatever town you move into, Then start figuring out what the needs are and how to go about making those needs fit,,
  8. jdoub12

jdoub12 Junior Member
    from NC-MA

well, I do have use for the truck before I move up there, and I thought it would be wise to buy a truck to meet future needs.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would try to buy a truck down there. Rust is usually much worse up here.
  10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless your truck now is a high milage POS that guy is screwing you over... that Ford isn't worth much with that many miles on it
  11. jdoub12

jdoub12 Junior Member
    from NC-MA

yeah, I'm looking around still... I found some with under 200,000 that seem to be about the same deal. It all depends what I can sell the Tacoma for.
  12. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would also look at the 3/4 and 1 tons. I would personally pass on that truck. Judging by what it looks like on CL, it looks like it is beat to sh*t. Are you looking to buy the truck in NC or MA? I just found a nice Chevy '05 2500 reg cab for $8200, looks like a good plow truck. It is in Charlotte, NC. Remember you get what you pay for, so investing a little bit more money now to have something newer will pay off. By the way, what make and how old is the plow that you have? Do you know what truck the plow came off of?
  13. jdoub12

jdoub12 Junior Member
    from NC-MA

I will be passing on that particular truck...I'm still searching.
    If I can sell the Tacoma for about $6500 my budget is pretty stuck at about 9-10k for a 3/4 ton.

Rich-I think the '05 2500 your referring to is 2WD.

The plow:
    I don't know the make and its probably 25 yrs old but has virtually no rust.
    Its 8' wide and 26 inches from top to bottom... and its yellow.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

For sure. Glad you're not fallling for his scam.

Sounds like a Fisher plow, dime a dozen up here. For your budget you should be able to get a real decent 3/4 ton truck, especially if you go gas.
  15. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

there are a lot of earlly-mid 2000 chevs with the 6.0l kicking around right now, and i think it well do everything you want. and for the $10 000 you are looking to pay, you should be able to find one with around 100 000miles on it no problem.
  16. buckwheat_la

17. jdoub12

jdoub12 Junior Member
    from NC-MA

That looks like a great setup in good shape, but its a touch out of my price range....I was also thinking of a ext cab.
    All I have is 10k, and I still would have to get top dollar for my Tacoma...
  18. buckwheat_la

that maybe so, but that set up has been sitting on here for a while, so he may be willing to deal a bit on it, and he is looking for a possible trade too.
  19. buckwheat_la

it was just a thought
  20. jdoub12

jdoub12 Junior Member
    from NC-MA

Might a good 1/2 ton do what I am asking it to do???
    Just thinking about my options? I won't be hauling 10,000# that often.
    Don't really want to go this route, but I don't know...?
    What 1/2 ton should I look at if I were going to look?