1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Comparisons

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Anyone with both a 2008-2009 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesel ford that can give me some info?

I want to know if getting the 1-ton instead of the 3/4 ton is worth the extra expense for fuel economy vs. output and front end repair costs.

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Each truck class holds the same 6.4 litre diesel. They are virtually similar in ride handling & towing. For the cost in price, go for the F-250. At the least, you can spend an extra $400 adding extra leaf springs ( at a aftermarket shop ) to upgrade the suspension stiffness.

You'll be more than happy!

3. GK Snow Removal

GK Snow Removal Member

it depends with power

4. GK Snow Removal

GK Snow Removal Member

i like it!!!!!!!

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's going to be a tad difficult. Ford got rid of leaf springs in the front in '05. Since he's asking on a plowing forum, I would guess his biggest concern is front suspension, not rear.

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

im sure he is talking about the rear axle springs. the 6.4 is going to get the same mileage in the 250 or 350 chassis. though u will save money on insurance, and registration going with the 250. the 3/4 ton will do all you want it to, the only advantage to the dually is stability towing large trailers in heavy wind applications. and the extra weight capacity.

7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...you can get the F-350 in SRW you know.

As for F-250 vs. F-350: Note, all listed below are 6.4 powerstroke, regular cab, 4x4 specs. They may vary depending on cab.

Rear axle rating is 6200 lbs. (F-250); 7280 lbs. (F-350 SRW).

Towing ratings are same: 15800 gooseneck (SRW), 12500 conventional towing (SRW).

The biggest GVWR rating is 9,600(F-250 reg cab 4wd), 11,000 (F-350 SRW reg cab 4wd). (the payload numbers are listed tricky)

The F-350 sits an inch higher (79.2 vs. 80.2)

Open tailgate to ground height is 34.4 (F-250), 37.2 (F-350)

There is about a <1 to >3 degree difference (not sure if it matters) in the approach, departure and ramp breakover angles.

Curb weights I believe are 6092 (F-250), 6194 (F-350)

In my opinion, the fuel economy difference would be very miniscule, but it will be diminished on either F-250 or F-350 with a plow, sander, etc. Cab configuration will also alter your fuel economy, due to the fact that a regular cab weighs I would say about 600-900 lbs more. The stock fuel economy isn't the best either with the 6.4 with the new emissions equipment. If you plan on getting one soon, do so, because they will get even tougher for 2010.

The front end wear would be the same (stock, no plow). Depending on the plow you pick, whether it be a straight or V, 8ft or 9ft, Western or Boss, will determine your front end wear. A 1,100 pound plow would put more stress than an 800 pound plow.

If you choose to get rid of any factory rake (noticable on GM trucks, its when the front end sits about 2 inches lower than the rear), there are things to fix the problem, such as coil spacers.

For plowing, especially if you plan on a lot of residential work, the dually might not be best. Also, a crew cab will be a little harder to navigate than a regular cab, but there is very little difference in capacity. In terms of 3/4 ton vs. 1-ton insurance rates, I am not sure.

If you want a slightly more ergonomic loading height, and save some cash, I would go for the F-250. If you want a higher axle rating out back, and a bit bigger GVWR, and an inch more in height, get the F-350.

All in all, if you keep up on maintainance, lubrication and overall care of the truck, which ever you consider, it will last you for a while.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009