1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck cleaning

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ksland, Feb 23, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

What do you guys use to clean your trucks interior? I am looking to stock up on some good cleaning products. Obviously an apolstry (sp?) cleaner is best for cloth seats and door panels but what about dashboards and plastic components? Any detailers in the house??
  2. chevy

chevy Member

I use to use amoral on everything, but found out some info a couple of years ago while working for a areo space contractor. Amoral looks good, but dries out what ever it comes into contact with. Thats why alot of peoples tires and dash boards dry and crack. The sun helps this process alot also. To protect the tires and my dash I use a wet silicone spray. Spray a clean rag with the silicone and wipe your interior parts. Don't spray the silicone on to your parts for you'll get a over spray that will be quiet something to remove off of your windows. The tires spray them direct before a washing(spray them abundantly). The interior fabric 3M makes a fairly good cleaner, but for a quality cleaning rent a Rug Doctor or buy a good rug and upholstery cleaner. A hot water type is usually best thats what I use.
    By the way silicone will help keep the rubber and plastic plyable. Don't use a soap base cleaner on your grain plastic or vinyl it will cause whitening in the grooves of the design.
    Thats my two cents.
  3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

ksland - try Simple Green. It works on everything. You can mix a solution for your seats and then another clean solution for your dash. I have also found that baby wipes work great on the dash. They absorb a lot and clean real well too.

4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Spray-nine or fast orange or Greased Lightning will clean just about anything off of anything. From grease stained carpets to grimmey door panels and dusty dirty dash boards it does it all.

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

the best thing i have found is PB/2 from malco.

not sure if malco products are available everywhere. we have a dealer around us.
  6. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Way back when in the dark ages when I actually had time to clean the inside of my car or truck myself, I used Murphy's Oil Soap. A bucket of really warm water, pour in a couple-few ounces of Murphy's and use an old washcloth or rag to wipe down all the plastic, rubber, wood, leather and even metal surfaces. I never rinsed it off or anything like that. To minimize water spots you can wipe it dry if you want, especially on metal surfaces where it'll show.

I go with the old, tried-and-true basics, I guess. Murphy's always worked real good for me. And, it's so handy around the house for all kinds of cleaning. Good for getting out grease stains on clothes. Great on woodwork, especially kitchen cabinets to bring out the luster in wood. Well, you get the idea.

On thing, try to keep the Murphy's off the windows. I guess you always do the inside of the windows last.

As far as rubber gaskets and such, Armor All for me, or a similar product, although I always go with Armor All. Get a rag really wet with it and wipe it on every rubber gasket and seal you can find. This'll help keep the rubber supple and prevent drying out and cracking of the rubber. You want your window seals and door seals to last a long time. There's nothing worse than a drafty car or truck because the seals are shot. I like to do this Spring and Fall. Even do other rubber seals on your vehicles, like trunk gaskets, etc. Try to wear rubber, plastic or latex gloves while you do this. Some people react to the stuff via skin adsorption. Also, I would try not to breathe in the smell of that stuff too much. I know it's pretty safe, but, again, there are people who might react to the stuff. Do this outside or at least with the garage overhead door open.

Window cleaner: Windex spray, I guess. There're a lot of good window cleaners out there. Aerosol cans of window cleaner are getting hard to find in regular retail stores. I guess the squirt bottles are OK, if you're careful not to get the spray on the surfaces you just cleaned next to the windows. That was always a challenge for me.

For any tar you come across, try WD40. That also can work good on rubber seals, but I prefer Armor All.

Hinges and the like: use the stuff that comes out of your grease gun, and also use some engine oil. That's right, I put both on, and it seems to work well. Again, do it Spring and Fall.

Check your tire pressures regularly. Armor All on those, too, but wipe it off if you can. Try to get the insides if you can. That greasy look turns me off, but I guess they have a low-shine formula out now. Some Armor All on your CV joints can't hurt, either. Especially on any front-wheel-drive cars you may have in the household. Nothing worse than CV boots that break up and allow dirt and gravel to get to the CV's. That means a short life for them. Armor All on rubber bump stops, too? On rubber hoses, too? Just look around and you'll see a lot of rubber parts that could use Armor All. Wiper blades? Not me, but some people do. Sometimes I'll just do the winter-blade rubber-cover material, not the wiper edge.

I'm really going on and on here. But, there are just so many things that you should do to any vehicle on a regular basis, you know?

Did I forget anything?

That's my 2¢.