1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck choices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hosenfeffer, Aug 9, 2009.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Looking to purchase new to me truck for plowing a couple 100 yd plus driveways and a couple thirty car plus size parking lots in central NH. May take on some local plowing jobs if quick and easy. Off season will tow @ 5k lbs up to 100 miles on a once weekly basis with some local light hauling thrown in.
    From research here and elsewhere am leaning towards a Ford 250 or 350 2005 or newer. Personally like the extended cab for convenience but not a deal killer. Truck will probably avg 10-15K miles a year. Just have had bad experiences with Dodge trannies and Chevy rust on older vehicles and have never owned a Ford truck. Hoping to pick up a clean 05-06 F_50 supercab XLT with 60K or less miles and stick a new 8 ft Fisher plow on it.
    Diesel or gas? Leaning toward lower fuel costs.
    If truck is not plow package equipped what should I buy ie alternator ,bigger cooler etc
    250 -350 is there a real difference for my situation?
    Whose diesel is quietest if I go that route? Have driven much larger diesels and have no big desire to listen to that again.
    Open to other brands and seeing if I can keep my costs to @ 20K.
    Thanks for your insight.
    Since a lot of you guys list your equipment
    99 Dodge Ram 1500 with 7 1/2 foot plow. Hence tranny issues
    Big Ass rebuilt snow blower made from about 5 different machines.
    Towing a sweetly setup striped bass fishing machine.
    Assorted shovels
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would not consider a Ford 6.0 diesel. They are pretty good trucks though. Comparing diesels year to year, Duramax is pretty quiet. But I'm a Cummins guy and wouldn't have it any other way. Oh and the newer 48RE and 68RFE Dodge transmissions are much better than the older models.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well I do a bunch of bigger drives with my 5.4 gasser Ford. It handles everything just fine. Only once I can remember needing more power, but I think that was mainly a traction issue. You can get a pretty nice Ford F-350 for a little less than $20k with those specs you have. It may be hard to find a diesel in that price range with that low of miles. But look hard, I'm sure you can find something. I like diesel a lot, but they are more expensive. You have to decide if you think it is worth it to you or not. For plowing it may be, but you aren't going to be towing a lot of weight.