1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck choice?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northeast, Jun 26, 2000.

1. northeast

northeast Junior Member

I would like some advice from people in the snow plowing biz. I have a 1990 f-150 6cyl.standard shift,and a 97 f-150 .I have gathered up some decent plowing accounts and need to make a decision on which truck to put plow on.the 97 is used for lawncare biz as well.the 90 is parked but in real nice shape,it has 137,000 miles,other option trade up to a f-250 or 350,hate to take on the bigger payment of new one.I have been leaning towards the 90 for plow only truck but do not know how it would hold up to the Maine winters. any advice would be appreciated. Nick

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Where in Maine are your from?<p>Anyways no matter what type of plow you are going to buy, or what brand truck you will buy. The best choice you can make is a 1 Ton. I believe that Ford F 350s are great plow trucks, i own a lot of ford trucks and they can take a beating.<p><br>The 90 F 150 would be a good plow truck if it was an auto. If you only used it to plow, you would be in good condition. That is if you are only plowing drives that are small. For big lots and long drives, ya want a bigger truck. Only if i were in your shoes and would only be plowing drives, and planned to stay in the driveway market. I would put a plow on the 90 if it was in good shape and keep up on the maintamce. Because everyytime i send a brand new plow truck out the first storm, i know i don't want to be driving, because it will get small dents, branches will tub up agaist it, and it will get beat up over time. I would rather beat a 90 than a 2000 anyday. The bottom line is plowing is hard on trucks and their will be more ware and tear than if you werten't plowing.<p>Geoff<br>Geoff<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GeoffDiamond

3. northeast

northeast Junior Member

thanks for the info Geoff, I live in the Augusta area,Where are you? I only plan on plowing a dozen or so residentials and one strip mall.I am leaning towards the 90 ford .<br>Do not want to beat up the 97 since I use for lawncare business.I will baby the 90 and hope it gets me through the season.I will get a f-350 for next year. thanks again.<br> Nick

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I plow with a 1990 f 150, with the springs up front replaced. It has the 300 six cylinder, short box, auto. I really love that truck. It has a 7.5 western proplow, and handles it great. I would not want to plow all night with a manual tranny, but some guys do it.<p>If you can handle the tranny, the 90 will give you just what you need for a driveway truck, with the least expense.<p>Consider ahead of time what you will use for a backup. Maybe for the other truck you could just set it up with the mounts, and just swap the blade if you needed a backup. My dealer told me that would cost about $400 to do that here. Its a cheap backup!

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I bet the 90 would be fine to plow with. Like PineSeaons said maybe go with a fisher plow, and put mounts on both trucks that way you have a back up.<p>I am more towards Portland, but further inland.<p>Geoff<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GeoffDiamond