1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck capabilities

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by benraines85, Jan 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. benraines85

benraines85 Junior Member

Alright so here is my question/situation, I have a '92 Ford F-150 with the 300 inline six 4x4. I currently can't afford another truck so I have to make do with this. Would the truck be able to withstand snow plowing with a 900 pound plow? I have mostly commercial and a few residential contracts. I have ordered heavier coils and shocks for up front and heavier springs in the rear. I've got 5.38 gears with lockers front and rear so traction shouldnt be too much of a problem. Any advice, input, or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I would find an older speed cast or mm1 7'6 blade and call it good

3. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Engine will have plenty of torque and that is what you want. Fine truck.
    Personally I wouldn't hang a 900lb plow off the truck... things wear faster than you think with all that weight. Lockers... may be a bad idea unless selectable. (can turn on and off) On ice, lockers actually give less traction in some situations. Limited slip is better.
    Look at some of the lighter weight steel blades. What blade did you have in mind? Personally 8' is the min you should look at.
    Don't forget about ballast in the back. Makes a big difference. 500 or 1000 lbs behind the rear wheels does wonders.
    Google "the big three" for wiring upgrades.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

900 lbs is a lot for a half-ton truck. Why do you say 900? Does somebody you know have a specific blade for sale or something? It can be done, but I wouldn't do it. I'd find a lighter blade.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If I remember right:drinkup:
    The '92 Ford F-150 or around that time.
    would experience frame cracks at the rear of the front wheel arch, cracks from hole to hole along the crumple zone when heavy plow or hard use.

just what we saw on a buddy's truck of that vintage.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Is the truck lifted with larger tires? The 5.38 gears and locked front and rear seem unusual.

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

definetely not from the factory with 5.38 gears.

and true lockers front and rear? thats definetly not factory either. a rear limited slip was optional, but certainly not a locker.

what kind of lockers do you have and are axles original? i beleive stock was a ford 9" rear and a dana 44 TTB up front.

5.38's would make that 300 straight 6 scream at anything over 50 mph if on stock tires.

8. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

get rid of the lockers, add lots of counterweight, weld on some gussets on the frame in weak spots. Till you do all of that, you'd be better off with a different truck. The lockers will absolutely suck unless you're doing flat parking lots. If you need to maneuver the truck around a driveway, you'll hate it.

9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I'm assuming that since this has lockers, it also has manual lockout hubs, I hope. If not you need to change them, the auto hubs WILL NOT hold up.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Get a better truck.