1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck cap

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by blueline38, Jan 26, 2008.

1. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I just bought a 2007 NBS crew. I'm looking at either getting a bed cover or a cap. I like the space the cap provides while being secure and weather proof. My question is; does anyone have a cap on while they plow and does it kill your view while backing up?

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Well, you need to use your mirrors and it helps to have a nice big set like my 04 F250 does (the telescoping towing type) but there are times I just need to turn around and get a good look out the rear window when getting close to buildings etc., so yes the cap is going to kill that ability to a great extent....don't forget you'll have snow buildup on that rear cap window for sure...no heat no wiper...so there goes any "view" at all...

By the way..what's an "NBS"???
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

new body style in 2007 i believe they made old and new body styles.
  4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

right........chevy has two styles for 2007, the classic and the NBS. I dont mind using mirrors I have to when i drive the fire trucks. my last truck had a roll up cover and when i plowed i usually just turned around. The cover just didnt offer total weather protection and when its loaded the cover has to stay off so. Thanks for the input.
  5. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

I got a foldacover on the new dodge I just bought, its hard and lockable and the nice thing is if you need to use the bed it just folds up.
  6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have a topper on my truck, this is the first year plowing with a topper so far the only issues is when i'm backing into the road but i just recline my pass. seat back so i can look out my quarter window, as far as having to look out my back window i never did before i had the topper thats just from driving truck and pulling my enclosed trailer all the time.
  7. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

The first year will suck for you as all the windows will be covered with road crap and you wont be able to see. I opened my back window the first year while I was plowing but now 4 years later I just use the mirrors. Get a good set of back up lights they will help out tremendously.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I like plowing with no cap.
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I did a cap for 2 years- PITA!
    Had to prop the rear window open and constantly adjust the mirrors to overcome the blind spots. Too much effort and hassle for me- the windows in my cap were not really well placed for visibility and they were tinted on top of it.
  10. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Plowing with a cap on is a big pain. I have 55watt back up lights and you must use your mirrors and hope there is nothing right behind you. I open the cap window. If you hit a big bump in a lot the window will close. avoid plowing with a cap huge pita
  11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

and guys with covers on ur beds the snow piles up on top of those and then u cant see nothing either. and the wind blows the snow around on top of that then on to the window thats a pain too. no cap no cover if something needs coverd in the bed it gets a tarp.