1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck bounces

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pcs, Oct 15, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I had my new Boss v on today and noticed that when I was in traffic or sitting at a light and was not pressing the gas the front of my truck was shaking or bouncing. It's a 2001 F-350 PSD. Does anyone know what this is?
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Lol, sounds like the front axle is sitting on the bump stops...
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds about right. Is your front end sagging pretty bad? If that is the case, I would seriously consider getting another leaf thrown in as well as some Timbrens... or it may be a very long winter. That can put your steering at bad angles, which will make your truck more difficult to control, as well as wear out your steering components much quicker.

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You may also want to check out your shocks. Actually, more like the bushings for the shocks. If the truck has already seen a year of plowing, the shock bushings are the first to go on new Fords. If they are bad than I would highly recomment using a shock with polyurethane bushings v/s the standard rubber ones. I run Rancho RS9000 shocks on my personal truck and use Skyjacker Softride shocks on the rest. Both have urethane bushings and both work fantastic.

If add-a-leafs are what you need than Skyjacker can help you in that department also. Don't forget that installing add-a-leafs will mean you will have to reposition your plow mounts to obtain the best angle of attack with the blade.

Plow Meister
    1995 F250 7.3L Power Stroke 9 1/2' Western Pro
  5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Yes, it's nearly a half ton of weight suspended off the front of the truck. Unless it is a 10' plow, then it is over half a ton. :)
  6. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

im new but ill give this a shot. i think the diesel engine weighs alot more than if u had a gas engine f350 so the added weight of the diesel engine plus the weight of the plow makes it sag quite a bit. how heavy is that boss plow and what size? a guy i know has a newer f350 diesel with an 8 1/2 fisher v plow and it barely sags and i know that particular fisher v weighs about 880, thats what the fisher site says. so how big and how much does the boss weigh?
  7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

8. pcs

pcs Senior Member

The truck only drops about 1". The plow weight is 890 lbs.