1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Blade Or Skid Steer?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Remstar, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Remstar

Remstar Member

Hello everyone,

I am new here and planning on making a new venture into the snow removal buisness. Had my eye on a new 2011 262C skid steer and a Kage plow system. I specifically wanted to buy new so I wouldnt have to worry (as much) about it breaking down.

Now I noticed alot of people on here seem to be more focused on putting a blade on thier truck? That option for me would be close to 50K cheaper... I already have a 3/4 truck.

Why are so many people going the truck route over the skid route. Too me a skid seems alot more efficient, and it appears to that would be alot more versatile.

2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

First off, I think you answered your own question; cheaper. A better question would be: Why wouldn't you put a plow on your truck?

3. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

Trucks tend to be cheaper to equip, and it's easier to get from site to site in a hurry. If your accounts are really tightly routed (think next door to each other) and have a lot of obstacles to plow around (light poles, islands, etc), a skid steer can do the work of 2-3 trucks.

4. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Really need to make sure the skid steer is a 2-speed.

5. Remstar

Remstar Member

I made sure to get the 2 speed.
    I have changed my plan to include equiping the truck with a 8' western pro plus blade and a 7' tornado spreader. Anyone have any other sujjestions on must have equipment.

6. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

Its a little more money, but you will be a lot happier (and more productive) with a v-plow on the truck. I've had an 8.5 western mvp and it did well.

7. Remstar

Remstar Member

I was looking into that but due to the deisel engine in my truck they dont allow for a V of any type.

I am currently crunching numbers and trying to make this work... From experience how many contracts could 2 guys and a skid handle? I noticed quite a few other companies were pricing residential contracts at 150$/month for seasonal snow removal. Seems like I would need 50 to 100 contracts to make the numbers work... Would it even be possible to produce that much snow removal in a 24 hr period with my purposed equipment, and a couple employees?

I have ordered Wayne Voldz Snow removal guide,with the standards...But I am still waiting for that too arrive so I still am unsure about the game plan.

I am assuming that creating plan to service primarily residential properties would be a PITA, and not how the real money in snow removal is made.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  8. GrayBros.

GrayBros. Junior Member

You actually can put a v-plow on your diesel, it's just not recommended because of the added weight. Get a pair of load boosters for the front end and allow that truck to make you more money by running the v-plow. As for the skid steer issue; you should look into lightly used machines because you can have problems with new or used and for the price, you could buy 2 used machines for the price of 1 new. You are off to a good start with the truck and skid steer idea; the amount you can handle is really specific to your individual company. Many factors come into account such as: size of account, depth of each snowfall, speed and experience of operators, distance between properties, and profit margins. Realistically, you will do the majority of your plowing from midnight to mid morning (8:00 a.m.) so now try to estimate how many total places you can cover in that time with your two machines. I would be glad to help and answer any questions you have.