1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck battery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by larryhd, Dec 20, 2012.

1. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I need new batteries for my trucks has anyone tried DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery I was told they were made by odyssey just rebranded for Sears
  2. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

A few of us run them great battery. There is a thread on here somewhere about them.
  3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have had one in my truck for a few years now. No problems yet.
  4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Interstate for me. 20 years, not a bad one yet.
  5. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I used to run the interstate but I've had the last 3 batteries from them failed they have warranty every time but I just figured it was time for something new. Just bought two new diehards platinums today
  6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I had so many customers drop their diehards for the same reason
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

just had to see how this was going,,,
  8. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I have three of them for my plowing equipment. IMO they are the best batteries. Since they sit all summer, they can be recharged to 100% for about 200 times. Any other battery loses most of its juice after the first discharge. They also have a high reserve capacity, which is important for plow equipment. They withstand vibration, something very common when plowing and vibration is the #1 cause of individual cells damage. I did extensive research on all the batteries out there because I was sick and tired of changing batteries every other season. My oldest platinum is on its 5th season and still functions perfectly. They are pricey but well worth it.
  9. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Had a Diehard Gold for 7yrs and switched to the same the last time, never an issue.
  10. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I run Odyssey's in my truck as well. I work for Enersys, the parent company of Odyssey. They are definitely a bad ass battery, though, the price can be a little much for some to swallow. The ability to deep discharge is huge for people that abuse electrical systems like we do. Also, they will not suffer a catastrophic failure and leave you stranded like a normal lead acid battery. If it cranks slowly....time for a replacement. They have a 4 year full replacement warranty, I can't remember what the prorated warranty term is, but it is pretty stout as well
  11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I just replaced my platinum under warranty. The full replacement expired on the 15th this month. I load tested it and it was weak. No problems at all with Sears giving me a new one.
  12. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yellow or Red?
  13. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Odyssey only has one model, youre thinking of Optima
  14. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I stopped selling Interstate batteries three years ago, the quality and lifespan dropped.

Die Hard from Sears is a good brand, Exide makes several good batteries as well, plus the Odyssey is an excellent choice.