1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck and sander set up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Sep 10, 2001.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I was just thinking of doing somthing new this winter and hear is my question:
    1. What would be a good truck to use for sander base.
    IE: For sanding business in a local 5-8 mile distance.
    2. what would be a good chioce of sander for this?
    Better to get a reall big one steel or go for the mantaince free of stanless maybe smaller.
    Then there is gas engine,electric or hydraulic.
    A slide in unit or a truck just devoted to a sander.
    Was just talking to a friend of mine that does sandding and plowing for the state he had 200 hrs plowing and double that sanding for them which makes be get a little more interested in the sanding part more than plowing.But if i had to do state probaly would need a ten wheel sander.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Cat320 - one ton Chevy diesel dually and a Fisher Pro Caster with a gas engine. Then, maybe I'm prejudiced (you think?). Seriously, I've seen a 3/4T with a 1.8 cu yd sander and seemed to do ok. Someone was encouraging me to go with hydraulic, but that would have been another $2,000 to get that installed. Hydraulic would be quieter, though, and wouldn't have the problem of not starting, running out of gas etc. I thought about electric, but that would have meant a seperate battery needing to be kept charged. The unit I've got can really be pretty easily lifted off. I'm going to leave it on now, cause it rides better with the weight on the flatbed. I don't know you're whole situation, but you might want to get a tailgate model if you're doing driveways - about $1800 plus installation. Probably not big enough if you sanding streets or for the State, though. Most of the guys on here would recommend the Stainless. It'll last longer, but it runs about $1000 more than painted.

Actually, someone on here gave me real good advise last Spring - Spend the Summer learning all I can about sanders. Then make a decision.

Hope I helped a little.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

For the record the elctric unit I have does not require a separate battery, it will run just fine off the trucks charging system. Infact it draws alot less than a plow motor, and thats only at start up, once running the volt meter stays at 13V.
    Dino

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Cat whats your budget on this project, and did you get some new accounts ? Are you planning on selling your Fisher ?

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD Well I do about I am doing about 4 good size parking areas and am trying to get a few more which will make it worth my while to get a bigger unit.Right now i 'm fixing my fisher that someone backed into last season and will keep it becuase it's good for small stuff but I would like to get a bigger set up just don'r really now what I want to get new used truck and or sander for now or just bite the bullet and get new.Ran into a friend today that just bought a rd mack 10 wheeler with sander and plow hook up but he's into it for over $120K.He will use the mack in the summer for his pool business so it's not just a winter truck as mine will mostly be.

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Sorry to hear about your speedcaster cat. As far as my choice for a sanding setup, if I was to buy now I would look for a used stainless, with preferably a honda engine. In your neck of the woods they should be out for sale shortly in the want ad. When I went to the snow expo everybody had a different opinion on gas, electric even hydraulic, so get what you can afford and feel comfortable with. I think if your only going to have this as a winter vehicle you should look for something used to put it in (1 ton) . Also does your friend with the Mack have a state contract ?

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Yes he is over at apache pass at rt28 and 128

8. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I also have been looking at a Sander unit. I am looking at either a Tarco Highlander JR or an IceOWay both 9' models. I like these units due to the fact that the Spinner assembly's are removable. That also facilitates the ability for them to be able to sit on the ground when not in use. But definentaly get a 1ton truck.