1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck and salter pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by danmc, Jan 14, 2008.

1. danmc

danmc Member

Here's my rig for this season: 05 F350 6.0 central hydraulics, 9' Pro Plus with wings, salt dogg spreader...

F350_1.jpg

2. danmc

danmc Member

will post more shortly, having problems with file sizes....

3. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

got to love them fords

4. danmc

danmc Member

here's more, don't know why they have to be so small :realmad:

F350_2.jpg

F350_side.jpg

F350 salter.jpg

F350 controls.jpg

5. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

looks good man

6. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Nice truck!
    We run something similar, F550 dump with a Monroe tailgate salter & Dickey-John controls. Great set-up for a small dump truck! We use ours for hauling snow also.

Bill

www.snowman.ca

7. danmc

danmc Member

i love the truck - turning radius is phenomenal and the central hydros can't be beat. only takes 10 secs to fully raise and lower (with a full load).

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Only thing you need to do is get it replumbed to make the proplus work off the truck. That is how my truck is and its freaking sweet. Like I always say, Once you go central you never go back.

9. danmc

danmc Member

we were thinking about it but it seemed like there would be too many levers and such to deal with plus, we ordered an 08 F550 for me to use instead of this one. unfortunately it won't be here till mid february but it will be an awesome set up. central hydros, same spreader with the addition of a liquid calcium sprayer to treat the salt as it goes through the auger. it'll have a beau roc body with a single piston similar to tandems. just have to decide what plow i want for it...

10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Defently go with a med duty viking 10' for it. Trust me I love the pro plus, but that beats it hands down. The pa turnpike has about 100 F-550 stainless bodys with 9' vikings. They swear by them.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have any pics of that?

12. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

isnt that going to be overweight as soon as you had a yard/ton of salt?

dont get me wrong, that truck is sweet, I would just expect that set up on atleast a 450. Anyway, I'd like to have that.

13. danmc

danmc Member

i'm just a tad overweight but most of the police around here give a little break during snow since most everybody, including the town trucks are overweight. it's approximately 4 miles from our salt pile to the complex i take care of, all backroads too (no excuse for travelling overweight but it eases the mind a little). But ultimately that's the reason for the new 550.

14. danmc

danmc Member

Here's better pictures

Better sized pictures...

F350_1.jpg

F350_2.jpg

F350_3.jpg

F350_4.jpg

F350_5.jpg

15. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Ok so I know how tailgate spreaders and v-box spreaders work ... but who do those spreaders where all you see is a the back end work? Is there a belt running accross the bed of the truck. I see them get filled with bulk but how does the salt travel to the back of the truck and get spread?

Sorry for this silly question.

16. glockg23

glockg23 Member

A Salt Dog!!!!!!
    Fricken cool
    How do you like it?
    Coffee cup one the floor, what kind of coffee?

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are talking about the spreaders that spread from the front of the box then yes there is a drag chain at the front of the box.

18. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

We have to tip the box a little to slide some salt into the hopper. There are 2 augers that move the salt across to the spinner. Some companies make truck boxes( Everest ) that an inner floor that lifts so the salt goes to a chain & to the spiner.

Bill

www.snowman.ca

19. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

This is going to sound stupid for the guys who dont have this problem.

Anyway, with the f350, do you have a serious problem with the side windows getting dirty in a storm?
    Not just regularly dirty, but im talking like 10 seconds into driving down the road the windows are just covered and you cant even see out the side windows. My F350 with the same body and cab configuration has a terrible problem with that, so I am assuming I need front fender flares.

BTW: clean the cab. lol

20. danmc

danmc Member

Oasis - the bottom of the salter is actually below the bed. if looking directly from the rear there is an auger on the left that is approximately 8 inches long then there is a baffle and another auger that runs from the baffle to the passenger side so the salt is drawn from both sides of the bed. The tailgate is held up in an angles position by two triangular pieces of steel. the rear of the salter and the tailgate act as a hopper of sorts, probably holds approximately 3/4 of a skid steer bucket. everyonce in a while I tip the bed up to refill the cavern and i'm good to go. the only problem i have is the bed isn't very smooth and wet salt doesn't slide too well...when that happens i just find a hill, raise the bed, put 'er in reverse and jam on the brakes :dizzy:

Premier, the cab is now clean....one too many bumps with a full coffee cup...
    My windows get horrendous - i carry around a spray bottle filled with rainex windshield washer fluid and a towel form my house and wipe them and the mirrors down every so often. the passenger side is the worst.....