1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck and plow lights on at same time

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mattpiotrowski, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mattpiotrowski

mattpiotrowski Junior Member

Hello All, Hopefully somebody can help me here. I have a newer Western Uni mount on my 86 GMC 2500. it has the 9 pin, 2 relay wiring harness. when i plug my plow in both my truck lights and plow lights are on. I know on westerns when you plug in the lights it switches one to the other. I replaced both relays with napa(192d) 87a relays and that still did not solve the problem. should the wiring harness be grounded anywhere? Any information is appreciated Thanks

i forgot to mentioned that it seems like after the truck gets warmed up with the plow on the lights start to flash like they are trying to switch over. if i unplug the head light harness to the truck light harness under the hood it acts fine for a while and does it again and sometimes it will be fine all night

my truck.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Is the extra light really a bad thing?

3. mattpiotrowski

No its not. Im sorry i forgot to mentioned that it seems like after the truck gets warmed up with the plow on the lights start to flash like they are trying to switch over. if i unplug the head light harness to the truck light harness under the hood it acts fine for a while and does it again and sometimes it will be fine all night

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well you said you got the 87a relays. Did you put the pins back in the same way and on the same relay number as per westerns wiring diag?

5. mattpiotrowski

Yessir, I went to Westerns website and got a diagram what wire goes to what prong on the relay prior to disconnecting

6. dieselss

Well test light time. Start cking the wires to see what you have and don't have. Start with the gnd wire first. The blk/og one. With plow hooked up it sends gnd signal to the relays and the contacts close sending pwr to pin 87 out to the plow lights

7. mattpiotrowski

ok. does that ground tie into the same black-orange wire that goes to the selonid? i have the tower style one and the 2 small prongs one wire is black/red(i belive) and the other is black/og. should there be a jumper wire type that goes from any of those wires to the ground on the battery?

8. dieselss

No its ground comes from the blk/og on the plow motor the relays that is

9. mattpiotrowski

Ok. i get what your saying so the ground goes to the motor on the plow side (pump motor). But just out of curiosity, what would ground the harness for the lights when the plow is not on the truck?

10. dieselss

Nothing. That's what the pin 87a is for. It goes pin 86 to 87a. When you gnd out the relst it goes pun 86 to pin 86 and plow lights ate lit

11. mattpiotrowski

ok. so what pins should have power when i hook the plow lights up

12. dieselss

Ok. Gimmie a min and ill look it up

13. mattpiotrowski

ok. can you send the link also? thanks

14. dieselss

Western plows .com. libary. And 3 and 4 port and relay wiring.
    Without plow
    Pin 30 yel to pin 87a org
    Pin 86 brn is parking

Plow hooked up.
    Pin 85 blk/og gets gnded
    Pin 30 yel sends pwr to pin 87 blk out to plow

15. Fixx

Fixx Junior Member

check the brown wire feeding all the releys,,it they dont have power from the parking lights all the lights will come on...or the plow plug is not completeing a ground to turn off the truck lightd..

16. mattpiotrowski

I Checked all the wires and have power going to the ones that should have power to them when lights are activated. I put a jumper wire from the ground straight to the negative to the battery and still have nothing.

17. Fixx

Fixx Junior Member

that is the most commn problems i see,,if the parking lights are not worklng on yhe plow then iys the brown wire that goes ti fire all releys.

18. dieselss

What gnd wire? The blk/og at the relay?

19. dieselss

Are you 100% sure you got the right relays. Sometimes the 87a (5pin relays ) have a jumper for 87 and 87a to be active at the same time.
    With plow hooked up. Test light both 87 and 87a pins to see if you have pwr at both