1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck and other questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Brains, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Brains

Brains Junior Member

recently inherited a s205 bobcat with full enclosed+ heated cab + trailer. I have a fair amount of experience operating it over the last few years doing jobs for my uncle on his acreage while he was unable to operate it before he passed away. I'm now looking to use the skidsteer to make some money here and there whether it be snow plowing or general contract work, but before all of that I need a truck to tow it around with. I'd ideally like to get a diesel 3/4 ton, since in the experience towing I have I always felt a lot more comfortable with a diesel compared to a gas truck. My budget is about $15,000 (been thinking about getting a truck as a second vehicle before I even got the skidsteer) I'm thinking about looking at early 2000's 7.3L Power strokes since most Dodge Cummins around here are all rusty and the Chevs are all too much $$ or the crappy 6.5L diesels.

I'd ideally like to get a 4x4 7.3l with the 8 ft bed (for space for transfer tank and toolbox).

My questions are, in your guys opinion:
    Diesel: yes or no?
    What brand?
    What transmission type for towing? Auto or manual?
    What cab size can do you recommend? Crewcab seems nice for extra dry story and incase I ever need to transport other people, but Seems like it'd be too and make turning a pain so I'm thinking about getting an extended cab
    Best type of plow for a skidsteer?
    What do you think of this truck? 2001 superduty diesel 7.3 on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/fort-mcmurray/2001-superduty-diesel-7-3/1022758469 it's a 2001 powerstroke diesel 4x4 auto trans with 383,000 km. fits all of my requirements and from what I've heard the 7.3L will go forever, and it leaves me with lots of room to afford repairs.

2. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Well here are some options. Are you planning to plow with the truck? If so the turning radius on the 7.3s with leaf springs suck but it's do able since that's what I have. Crew cab is pretty big and one with an 8 foot bed is a limo. So extended cab is kinda the way to go. And ya diesel is the way to go for pulling but remember fuel is more expensive maintaince is double what it is in a gas. Eg 2 gallons of oil, 4 gallons of anti freeze. Than in the winter you have to run addative or the fuel will jell up if it's really cold than you have a world of troubles. I would go with an automatic. Shifting a truck sucks i had s 99 7.3 dump truck at work and shifting got really old. An automatic will hold up that skidsteer isn't huge or super heavy. Another thing about the 7.3 yz they run forever but it's all the little crap that adds up. Oil pan rusting out. Brake lines fuel lines front end parts grant it that's on any truck but 7.3s are getting hard to find with low miles and not s lot of rust. Some guys may hate me for this comment but you can find a great 6.0 for cheap. Everyone is scared of them so they are dirt cheap. It will cost about 4-5 grand to bullet proof one but i think once that's done they are better than a 7.3
  3. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

With your budget your much better off getting a newer and lower mileage gasser than a diesel. If all your using the truck for is to tow the skid in the winter a gasser will serve you just fine.

Cab style is going to really come down to your prefferece but turning shouldn't be a concern with a crew cab. My daily driver is a Chevy 2500 crew cab and my work truck is an F550 crew cab with a 12ft bed and 14ft trailer. That thing has horrible turning but I can put it wherever I want. It's all about skill.

As for the skid, look around for a used pusher as well.
  4. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

What are you looking to plow with the machine. If its driveways a plow or a pusher with a back drag blade will be more ideal than a regular push box. If just a regular push box should suit fine.
    As for a truck, what else are you going to use it for? When plowing a crew cab 8' bed is super long, it is doable but not ideal. Also, if you are plowing with it an automatic is more comfortable. If it is just a tow vehicle a manual might be better. Finding a decent 7.3 pickup these days with a stick is close to impossible.
  5. Brains

Brains Junior Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Decided that if I'm going to buy a truck, I better buy one that I'm going to keep for awhile. Thursday I ordered a 2015 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax diesel in Rainforest Green. SRW, Double cab long bed, LT model, 4x4. Can't wait for it to arrive. Might sound like overkill to buy a new 1 ton truck to tow a bobcat, but I'm purchasing my neighbors 35' fifth wheel RV toy hauler which has a dry weight just short of 10,000 lbs so I figured I'd need a truck with a little muscle to it.

6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats. Can't wait to see pictures. Go Large or Go Home:drinkup:
  7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What is the weights of the bobcat and the trailer?