1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck almosts dies when i touch the plow switch???????????????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ggwash21, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

i have a 94 Chevy 2500 with a meyers c-8 brand new battery and brand new alternator and when i hit the plow switch to angle or raise it almosts dies and some times takes the power away from the truck??? Any ideas?????
  2. jimslawns

jimslawns Junior Member
    from Mid MO

check your battery cables.
  3. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Check all the wires that lead from your plow control box to the power source as well as all wires that come from the plow setup to the power source. Some times if their is a cut in the wire or if the cable it self is exposed it drawn more power since its not a smooth flow its being interrupted.
    Good Luck with the trouble shooting!
  4. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

check your ground.
  5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Could be the ground to the plow motor. Power going in could be having a hard time comming out.
  6. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

Is your idle too low or do you have a vacuum leak maybe?
  7. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

did you get the largest alternator known to man? If so the regulator is telling the high amp alternator to replace the juice all at once. a second battery would help solve that.
  8. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

the alternator is the biggest one i can get 105 amp. if i get the 130 amp i have to change brackets and to much work.. The cables under the hood are all good but i need to check the ones to the plow/.... i think there's bare wire showing on the power and ground at the pump.. i'm gonna heat shrink them and tape them... and try that....
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Could be a bad ground or the plow motor getting ready to crap out.
  10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Low Voltage

You are drawing to much current from the battery and the voltage is dropping. At a low voltage the truck will stop running. Check battery, cables and the current draw the plow motor is using. A VOM will help you figure out your problem. See what the voltage on battery drops to when you turn on plow motor. There are many reasons the plow motor can draw large amounts of current. Motor failing, wrong fluid and bad wires. You need to check them all out. If you have any more problems there is a phone number to Meyers Snow Plows and during business hours they offer free tech support.

11. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

It is your ground. I had the same thing with my dump body this year. Clean all your battery terminals, the connections on the pump and ground cables where they contact the truck frame
  12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The last one I did with that problem turned out to be the pos. terminal on the pump was bent and touching the housing of the pump motor. Straightened it up and put in new insulator. Good to go.
  13. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

thanks a ton i will be chevking them all out tonight