1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck almost shutting down!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BOSSMAN21, Dec 22, 2008.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I have a 2003 Chevrolet silverado 1500 HD with a BOSS 7'6 straight blade. When I go to lift the plow up or angle it when I have my strobes and my heater going, it seems the truck wants to shut right down. The strobes get really dim and almost stop, also the heater shuts off and I have to turn it back on. Is this just the battery or could it be something more serious? Suggestions would be very well appreciated.

2. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

have you had the alternator and battery tested?

3. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

No, do you think the alternator isnt making enough power for the battery?

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I think that yes, I also think you need a second battery. Once I added one to a half ton truck, there's no way I'd try to plow with a single battery again. Now I run diesels, so they already have 2, but any truck I set up for myself is sure to have a second.

5. michdeere

michdeere Member

Have your battery tested...sounds like you need a new one. Buy one with the most CCA's you can that will fit in the truck. You don't have to run two batteries, but more reserve is a good thing.

6. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

thanks i will try a new battery than if that doest work, then I will buy 2 new ones.

7. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN Member

Almost exactly what was happening to me... '98 K1500 My alt was only putting out 50 amps at idle, (stock is supposed to be 100), and it killed my batt.

Bought a new batt, and 190 amp alternator, with the intention of adding a second battery later. Thing is, if you decide to go with a higher than stock amp alternator, MAKE SURE you get the right size pulley. Higher amp alternators require a smaller diameter pulley to make the 14+ volts at idle...

8. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

you probly also need a new belt. (probly a slight increase in lenth will be needed.) When I upgraded my stock alt. to a larger one (Gm 145 amp. AD244 series) I needed a slightly longer belt
    If you really want to get involved, upgrade a few of the main wires. This is for 94+ generation S series but i would imagine its the same concept for almost any vehicle.
    1. Alternator wire (positive)
    2. Alternator to frame (ground) - Optional, Not Reqired
    3. Frame to battery (ground)
    4. Block to battery (ground)
    heres a little How To write up for a s10
    http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=20163