1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Accessories or Cash?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIAWPUKEK, Dec 4, 2005.

?

Should I accept Cash or Truck Accessories?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2005.
  1. CASH

28 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. TRUCK ACCESSORIES

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I got an offer this year to contract the local "Truck Caps & Accessories" retailer in the town where I'm going to school. The owner said he can pay me cash or give me any truck accessory that I want for my truck. Suggestions?

The only thing is......this town is 100 miles from my hometown where I have other contracts lined up. One idea I had was put the plow on a single snowmobile trailer and tow it back and forth, wouldn't dare drive back and forth with the plow on the front!

2. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

I would take the cash cause it is univeral, and you can get whatever you want with it

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Nether, A 100mi is to far to go and it takes to Long to drive there.. Think of all the lots or drives you could do in that time instead.

4. MisterIceMan

MisterIceMan Junior Member

100 miles ? have mercy, unless you drive that distance every day I wouldn't do it. I assume that you can easily mount and dismount the plow from your trailer. If you do it take the cash:nod: . Any truck accesory is very vague. Would the value of the accessory be equal to that of your rate ?

5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

i agree..... just too far. If a bad storm sets in, theres just too much roadway in between that could be unpassable due to pile up or something...

6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

neither, I drive 75 kms round trip for my route, it's $20-$30 fuel in travel expenses for an 8 hour route. And even that I can't stand. That's 1 hour transport in a storm.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

100 miles forget it, as someone stated above in a snow storm towing a friggin' trailer is insane anyway, rule of thumb is stay within 20 miles of your home area, what if you have break down or something like that and you have truck and trailer to get back home, now what ??

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you have to remember a business usually need constant plowing, not end of storm plowing- which you can;t realistically do under those circumstances. and 100miles away is nuts to begin with. I refuse any customer that's more than 1 town away because it's too long a drive in the snow.
    but to answer your question- CASH no if ands or buts. the value of cash is plain but the value of an accessory isn't. If you want an accessory from him buy it after the season with the cash he pays you.

9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Well put !!!!

10. JTW

JTW Senior Member

can't believe you would even consider a 100 mile drive on a regular basis. Do you know anybody that stays at school or lives in the town year round that could be a sub-contractor for you on the job?

11. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I might have missed a piece of info in my discussion....the business is 100 miles from home, I live in that town during the weekdays (going to school) and then drive home on the weekends. But gotta consider, what if I'm home when it snows? I can't just take off back to the town right away. I have contracts back home that I have to get done while I'm home for the weekend.

Thanks for all the input! Doubt I'll take the contract, but if I do, I'll take the cash!

12. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

First of all if it snows back at your home town and your in school you gott drive back, so it is a catch 22 scenario. Personally I would say no thank you to that business owner and tell him the scenario. There are two other options, 1. to trailer it, or 2. Buy a second plow and ask him to store it at his place.

But after all of that trouble you have to ask your self is it really worth it. Also I have done business on a trade type deal. Let me tell you the owner of the business will probably mark the price up so in a sense he would feel that he would get a better deal.

13. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

im with everyone else that is sayin 100mi is a lot of driving...i dont know tho b.c thats all up to you...but if i was to do a place like that around the corner or somehting i would take cash b.c if you want somehting for your truck u can pay cash or if u dont you can spend your cash else were so i would go with cash in the part

14. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Take the cash and find a reliable subcontractor to cover it.